Wane to go

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wane to go

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Madge trophies one of each 2 seasons.
SW trophies one of each 4 seasons,
plus 2 bunches of flowers thrown from the winner's podium!
Eh?

Wane might have four trophies but only because of the LLS and they all happened over two years ago.

If he had a trophy a year for each of those four years (unless it was just the LLS every time) his position would look far rosier in the eyes of fans who are frustrated about the last two trophy-less seasons.

Winning something every year is far better than looking back and saying we won the double.
Dave I was demonstrating SW had won the same amount of pots as Madge but twice as long in the job and still counting!
And we mustn't forget the flowers that the bridesmaids hope to get!
We are on the same page, believe me.
[/quote

OK, I am easily confused!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
thegimble wrote:DaveO

I listened to that Salford game and Bilko was very close to tears in the first half.
It was truly awful and the only reason we won was because Matty Bowen took the game to Salford spotting what needed to be done. No one else stepped up and it certainly wasn't the result of a half time team talk from Wane.

You can not depend on signing players of NRL to replace quality players leaving all the time. Wire have tried that and had a real bad 2 years since 2013.
You can't rely on producing a squad entirely yourself from the juniors either. That has never worked.

It's a matter of balance and I think Leeds with several young players of their own plus some experience brought in have this correct. I don't think they are relying on picking up players from the NRL but rather if a good one becomes available they sign them.

Our signings in comparison seem as cheap as chips and opportunistic and there even seems to be a policy not to even look at what is available in the NRL.

That has never been "the Wigan way" as Wigan has always been a club with a view that it doesn't matter where you are from if you are a good player.
I do agree with you we have gone too far into the youth production of players. Its not the ones that make it. Gildart, Burgess or Manfredi etc but the ones we keep on for 3-4 years when tbh they should have been gone by 21.
menpond

Post by menpond »

Tomkins is in for repair. Hope it has held him back this year and its fixed . Cannot afford the wage on this years form.
mp
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Stuck with him boys
menpond

Post by menpond »

far too many players hanging around the club.We need a hard core of 20 ,all capable of origin standard,rest gone at 21 as pointed out. SLOPPY.
mp
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

menpond wrote:far too many players hanging around the club.We need a hard core of 20 ,all capable of origin standard,rest gone at 21 as pointed out. SLOPPY.
Greenwood kept until 24 is an absolute disgrace when we have Sutton coming through.

I assume Burke has 1 year to prove himself.

Connor Farrell probably will go on loan next year.

What is happening with Rhodri Lloyd? Surely his time is up now.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Wane will never change.You can sit Wayne Bennett down in front of him and he will listen, be polite and then walk away and do exactly what he was doing before the conversation because it is the Wane way and he knows better than anybody. Look at him as a player. Successful coach told him he needed to train harder / better and he had 2 international props showing him what he needed to do and yet he never did and simply cursed bad luck when his body kept letting him down. You can take a horse to water but ......
The same can be said about several posters on here!

The way they continually denigrate Mr Lenegan as the owner, Shaun Wane as a player, a person, a coach, the players integrity & quality, even other posters if they dare to disagree, with opinions or support the club through good & bad times.

People do get upset if their team loses or plays bad, but they don't go into meltdown over the owner, coach, players etc calling for all & sundry to be sacked!

We are all 'armchair' experts on how to coach, how to play, tactics etc
If we were all so good, we would be in these positions of 'power' within Wigan Warriors not just commenting on web forums.

Emotional competency springs to mind!

Nail on head !!! :eusa2:
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

nathan_rugby wrote:
menpond wrote:far too many players hanging around the club.We need a hard core of 20 ,all capable of origin standard,rest gone at 21 as pointed out. SLOPPY.
Greenwood kept until 24 is an absolute disgrace when we have Sutton coming through.

I assume Burke has 1 year to prove himself.

Connor Farrell probably will go on loan next year.

What is happening with Rhodri Lloyd? Surely his time is up now.
Greenwood has gone. It was worth seeing how he went whilst out on loan. Sutton played 18 games this year which for a 19 year old prop was probably a few too many. As to who is going on loan I suppose it'll all depend on how the new U23's system woks, or doesn't. I imagine the dual reg will be quite favourable as players only go there if not required by the parent club.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Wane will never change.You can sit Wayne Bennett down in front of him and he will listen, be polite and then walk away and do exactly what he was doing before the conversation because it is the Wane way and he knows better than anybody. Look at him as a player. Successful coach told him he needed to train harder / better and he had 2 international props showing him what he needed to do and yet he never did and simply cursed bad luck when his body kept letting him down. You can take a horse to water but ......
The same can be said about several posters on here!

The way they continually denigrate Mr Lenegan as the owner, Shaun Wane as a player, a person, a coach, the players integrity & quality, even other posters if they dare to disagree, with opinions or support the club through good & bad times.

People do get upset if their team loses or plays bad, but they don't go into meltdown over the owner, coach, players etc calling for all & sundry to be sacked!

We are all 'armchair' experts on how to coach, how to play, tactics etc
If we were all so good, we would be in these positions of 'power' within Wigan Warriors not just commenting on web forums.

Emotional competency springs to mind!

Nail on head !!! :eusa2:
Mike better kill the forum then and Wane should be Wigan coach for life. :lol:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I disagree.

I may not be the last word in coaching knowledge, but I do have life experience.

That tells me

1. IL is trying to run the club on the cheap.
2. Wane needs to go back to school and learn tactics. There is no doubt he has the motivational side of things licked.

Look it's very simple. RL in this country is VERY VERY close to imploding.

There are 4 teams with a chance of winning the GF.

Therefore, cetris paribus, you would expect Wigan to make a GF, on average every 2 years.

Given the size of Wigan's catchment area, coupled with the restrictions of the salary cap, you would expect Wigan to average more than this. Perhaps 2 years out of 3.

You could strategically shave a gibbon, stick him in charge and you should achieve this.

I actually don't have that much of a problem losing to that Leeds team. Like it or not they had some quality players in Sinfield and Peacock, perhaps the last of a generation in that respect.

The Leeds team of next year will be massively weaker for losing those two. It will take them time to recover.

So that leaves 3 teams who could make the GF.

To be honest if we DON'T make the GF next year then there is something wrong.

It's all very dull and depressing really. The standard of RL in this country has gone beyond a joke and is now a very serious concern indeed.