Cardiff - what a weekend, was you there? Post your thoughts/memories here>>>

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: Cardiff - what a weeke...

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
damien morrissey posted:
Abide with me was the Hymn they sang this weekend i always remember it being Jerusalem they always sang at Wembley thats probably why it is my favorite hymn
Thought they did Abide with me at Wembly as well.
One day I'll understand why they insist on playing this funeral dirge at the start of such a high action event...

I didn't even see the game on the television, apart from the last 3 minutes or so. How did the "singing" go this year, was it the usual "mumble mumble mumble Abide with me mumble mumble mumble"? Sorry for those of you who like this tune and the traditions and all that, but I still find it funny people have such strong attachments to it despite the fact that most people don't know any of the words apart from "abide with me"! And to me it's still as dreary as God Save The Queen (another song that makes me want to hang myself out of boredom).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

damien morrissey posted:
Abide with me was the Hymn they sang this weekend i always remember it being Jerusalem they always sang at Wembley thats probably why it is my favorite hymn
:eh: :eh: :eh:
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
damien morrissey posted:
Thought they did Abide with me at Wembly as well.
One day I'll understand why they insist on playing this funeral dirge at the start of such a high action event...

I didn't even see the game on the television, apart from the last 3 minutes or so. How did the "singing" go this year, was it the usual "mumble mumble mumble Abide with me mumble mumble mumble"? Sorry for those of you who like this tune and the traditions and all that, but I still find it funny people have such strong attachments to it despite the fact that most people don't know any of the words apart from "abide with me"! And to me it's still as dreary as God Save The Queen (another song that makes me want to hang myself out of boredom).
I love the singing' real emotional stuff and this year was no different. I was moved to see the Hull speccie in tears on the TV.
He wasn't the only one!!!!
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

great trip to cardiff this year. Loads of wigan fans were at the ground I even saw Steve Gansons barmy army in the leeds end. :o The atmosphere when leeds were singing marching on together before the game was electric. The pubs before the game were packed watching the cricket. Every time we took a wicket I thaught England had won the world cup! If anyone saw someone with once a pie always a pie on their shirt that was me!!
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
willie c

Post by willie c »

great week end stayed in the city centre just ordered my wembley tickets today that guard was funny rob same crac with him last year what about the other bongos who bumbed into our party
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

willie c posted:
great week end stayed in the city centre just ordered my wembley tickets today that guard was funny rob same crac with him last year what about the other bongos who bumbed into our party
You've got bongo magnet tattooed on your head mate! :wink:
redhead

Post by redhead »

A great weekend a group of us pies had booked caravans in a campsite in porthcawl and were in fancy dress so not in shirts on the day but had a great time sat with the Hull lot thought Tom Jones Deliah went down very well before the gameand a really close entertaining game will all be going again next year to wherever they play as usual. Even chatting with the 'volcano' before the game who was shouting for Hull.
the little walnut
Champions

Post by Champions »

Couldn't go to the match but watched it in the pub instead, along side Godwin and Hanson......and Johnson and Peacock from Bratford. Great match and the atmosphere in the pub was great, so I can't imagine what it would be like to have been there. Everyone supporting Hull.....cheering when they scored. Only one true Hull fan in (bet he was gutted he didn't go!), but great time and great match!
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
DaiJones

Re: Cardiff - what a weekend, ...

Post by DaiJones »

It was a superb weekend in Cardiff, almost as good as my last "sporting" visit to the capital back in mid March. The singing was pretty special then too.