Charnley in talks with Sale

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Charnley in talks with Sale

Post by nathan_rugby »

Rightly so he should be getting the finger pointed at him.

He was the best winger in the league, he scored tries for fun and was very very quick.

In 2014 and 2015 he looks to have bulked up a lot, had some injuries, been out of form, not regained his place etc. All of this is also centred around his contract discussions.

I understand that confidence is key, but he has been a shadow of his former self for far too long so deserves the jury to be out on him.

That being said, he has performed this year and I hope it continues. He has proved he can do it, made some good meters, breaks and tries.

The jury is still out on Mossop. There was questions marks above his head in the run up to him leaving for the NRL. He has had a serious shoulder injury which resulted in him returning here. He only managed a few good games last year when his confidence was up, and now this year he has been dropped for 3 and benched for the other 3.

I really hope he kicks on and improves or this season should be his last.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
In 2014 and 2015 he looks to have bulked up a lot, had some injuries, been out of form, not regained his place etc. All of this is also centred around his contract discussions.
You have not mentioned who he has inside him at centre. Since Goulding left we have not had a wingers centre or much experience inside of him.

I must admit I don't get the stick Charnley got last year. Some of it was I believe the usual "Wane is always right" brigade who felt it was imperative to criticise Josh because if you didn't that would mean you disagreed with the almighty Wane.

But for others I was baffled as to what he had done to get their backs up.

I am sure if he does leave we will see the "no great loss" comments a plenty. Deluded if so.

Pedrotheexile

Post by Pedrotheexile »

Thought he was outstanding against the Winos last Friday-both offence & defence-so he's still got it but he's not shown enough of it for the last 2 seasons.If he maintains that sort of form he will be a loss-if not then good luck.
He must be desperate if he's thinking of going to Sale though!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:
You have not mentioned who he has inside him at centre. Since Goulding left we have not had a wingers centre or much experience inside of him.

I must admit I don't get the stick Charnley got last year. Some of it was I believe the usual "Wane is always right" brigade who felt it was imperative to criticise Josh because if you didn't that would mean you disagreed with the almighty Wane.

I am sure if he does leave we will see the "no great loss" comments a plenty. Deluded if so.
So why have Burgess and Manfredi done so well on the wings despite not having a wingers centre inside them?

If your above rule applies, none of our wingers would do well.

The fact is, and most probably for numerous reasons, over the past 2 years Josh Charnley hasn't been anywere near his best. It will be a combination of Injuries and Attitude.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pedrotheexile wrote:Thought he was outstanding against the Winos last Friday-both offence & defence-so he's still got it but he's not shown enough of it for the last 2 seasons.If he maintains that sort of form he will be a loss-if not then good luck.
He must be desperate if he's thinking of going to Sale though!
Money talks.

With his form against Leeds, yes he will be a great loss unless we come up with a capable back up.

He however was quoted in the papers the week of the league match saying how he had struggled to adjust to the different wing and made around 3 silly errors in the previous game. Was it Hull?

So we cannot read loads into the Leeds game, given the week before.

Good matches against Leeds then Widnes then Saints will start to show he does still have it and it isn't a fluke.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:
You have not mentioned who he has inside him at centre. Since Goulding left we f not had a wingers centre or much experience inside of him.

I was thinking the same thing as I read Nathan's post!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote:
nathan_rugby wrote:
You have not mentioned who he has inside him at centre. Since Goulding left we f not had a wingers centre or much experience inside of him.

I was thinking the same thing as I read Nathan's post!
How is that an excuse for Charnley but wasn't a factor for Burgess/Manfredi?
menpond

Post by menpond »

Charnley will be a loss,guessing he will not be a heavy earner on the salary cap.He might struggle with the physicality of Union, as J Tomkins did.Can always come back ,on new salary terms.?
mp
ian b

Post by ian b »

My friend knocks around with him and he told me that a new contract was offered but it was for around half the money he was on now so maybe that's the main reason he is after leaving
menpond

Post by menpond »

Well its up to Wane. He makes the calls,and its do or die in WANE YEAR 5.Hope he makes it work.,genuinely. We have started the season mentally focussed,and a win tonight will give us all more confidence. Do not fuss re Saint Helens at Easter,its WEMBLEY WE NEED!!!
mp