Shaun Wane 150

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LooseHead

Re: Shaun Wane 150

Post by LooseHead »

Matty Smith is a game manager with a good set of skills. There's not that many of that sort of player around, but paired with a creative half back alongside them they can look good. As a player it's a lot easier to run off half backs like Smith rather than some loon who will make it up as he goes along, run into your lines and try to play an off the cuff game all match. Problem for MS since we let Blake Green go (and that's a deliberate choice of words, I've been told by a very very reliable source that he would have stayed had the club wanted him to) is that he's not paired with anyone who can compliment his skill / style. Williams was (? Still is) too inexperienced to be the spark for the team.

Green was signed for a reason - they needed creativity alongside MS. The error is SW thinking that Williams was ready. Not MS fault that he's getting on with his way of playing but the management can't put a team together that compliments him.
SJ

Post by SJ »

jaws1 wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
jaws1 wrote: I'm bored of reading your quotes I don't post much your going on ignore
Ive watched Wigan for over 60 years followed them home and away I do like them winning and don't like them losing my gripe is SL at the moment is at the lowest that I ever seen if you want to talk about history did you ever see Brian Bevan,Billy Boston ,Tom Van Vollenhoven,Brian McTIGUE John Barton etc etc etc etc play rugby league that for me was exciting not the dross they are digging up at the moment.
Is there anything that doesn't bore you at the moment? I don't want to talk about history but clearly you do!
YES YOUR POSTS
First congratulations to SW. Done good.
Second I'm glad I was born with rose coloured spectacles. The game has improved exponentially in all levels in the 60 odd years I've been a RL fan.
I've seen all the players mentioned above and great players too in their day. However the forwards mentioned couldn't live with the forwards of today. It was all they could do to trundle from one tedious scrum to the next scrum and so on infinitum. Now that was boring and thankfully long gone
That said Well done SW. It may be time for "fresh blood " in the coaching role to rejuvenate the team as anyone who's had a transfusion or Lance Armstrong could testify. :cool:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Is WW SW in disguise or a blood relative :roll: :lol:

IMO wane is a mediocre coach and is damading Wigan RLFC instead of what he should be doing. Moreover, lest we forget; his own words; we under achieved under Madge, played poor RL and he was going to do it better :roll:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:Is WW SW in disguise or a blood relative :roll: :lol:

IMO wane is a mediocre coach and is damading Wigan RLFC instead of what he should be doing. Moreover, lest we forget; his own words; we under achieved under Madge, played poor RL and he was going to do it better :roll:
Are they his own words really?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

[/quote]

First congratulations to SW. Done good.
Second I'm glad I was born with rose coloured spectacles. The game has improved exponentially in all levels in the 60 odd years I've been a RL fan.
I've seen all the players mentioned above and great players too in their day. However the forwards mentioned couldn't live with the forwards of today. It was all they could do to trundle from one tedious scrum to the next scrum and so on infinitum. Now that was boring and thankfully long gone
That said Well done SW. It may be time for "fresh blood " in the coaching role to rejuvenate the team as anyone who's had a transfusion or Lance Armstrong could testify. :cool: [/quote]

I've always thought Hanley was the best Brit RL player I've ever seen and he probably wouldn't cope in today's environment, but nevertheless he's part of history, and history can never be ignored unless you are Pol Pot, and was never ever boring.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Is WW SW in disguise or a blood relative :roll: :lol:

Are they his own words really?
"I've been involved here for many years and to get the head job is a great opportunity," said Wane.

"Assistant coach is probably not what I'm good at," he told BBC Radio Manchester. "I like being in control.

"I'm looking forward to this chance I've got. I've been involved for 10 years here as a player and 12 as a coach and to get this job - which is the best job in the world - is great for me.
Wane looking forward to Wigan chance

"Michael Maguire has put a structure in place, which is going to carry on, but I feel I can improve things.

"There's been games this year I don't think we should have lost and it's my job as head coach to make sure the lads are prepared and we win those games.""
Just one of several quotes he made along those lines.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

you want another TB; Jan 2015
Wane adds: ‘‘Bateman is young, talented, hungry and versatile. He is a good lad and like so many, his levels rise when he takes the field.

‘‘Joel Tomkins has also been training the house down and wants a big year after returning from rugby union. We have a few niggling injuries to contend with but we will be ready to go again.

‘‘We have a good squad. I am really looking forward to working with George Williams who has been given the number six shirt.

‘‘He is not the finished article, he is only a kid but he is talented and this lad is very much one for the future. Dom Crosby also continues to develop as a strong and powerful forward.

‘‘George replaces Blake Green but I would sooner give a lad like George the chance to develop than throw money away on say a 32-year-old overseas signing. My policy is also to give youngsters their chance - it’s the best way.’’
so, if Kirt Gidley had come to Wigan before sining for Wire. You can imagine Wane saying sorry you are foreign and too old. I need youngsters who will do whatever I say without questioning me.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Same article;
Shaun Wane wants to coach the national team.

He also wants to test himself against the Australian NRL’s finest.
:lol:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

So to summarise they are not his words!!

He said he feels as though he can improve things!!

Now correct me if I am wrong but if he would have said things would be the same or get worse (which ironically they have) he would have been slammed for that! What did you really expect him to say? He wants to improve things and win games that we lost last season, seems perfectly fine to me!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Stuwigan

Post by Stuwigan »

True be careful it's the new future head couch coach of Wigan talking there ...

If Wane wins silverware this year either Challenge Cup or Grand Final some people will still not be happy !!!!

It's April and nothing is won in April and some are panicking like the worlds falling in ....