Joe Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Re: Joe Burgess

Post by AdamMac »

He had a shocker with the high kicks, but the tries where IMO the fault of Ferguson, he has a habit of tucking in far to much and leaving his winger in no mans land.

Joe did pull off an excellent one on one tackle, which saved a certain try, but unfortunately he didn't have a pass ALL game as the roosters were very poor on the whole.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

markill wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think Joe may regret going so soon into his career. But he will no doubt be welcomed back here as one of the few we would actually want back!
Haven't we wanted them all back before they've come back?
I certainly wouldn't have re-signed mossop, he was good before he left but was constantly injured over there.

Same with Joel T, I think we were comfortable in 2nd rowers and he was a big wage we could of invested elsewhere

I agree with re-signing Sam and I would resign burgess
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

I was livid when I saw that Moose was pretty close to signing for Leeds, as I suspect MOST wigan fans were, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. So far he's been a shadow or the international prop he once was.

Same applies to Joel really.

Lets hope they come good, but I don't really blame the club on these signings.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

AdamMac wrote:I was livid when I saw that Moose was pretty close to signing for Leeds, as I suspect MOST wigan fans were, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. So far he's been a shadow or the international prop he once was.

Same applies to Joel really.

Lets hope they come good, but I don't really blame the club on these signings.
I wasn't, I was livid when we signed him again
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Joe had a few bad games for us at the start of last season, so much so a few on this site, including myself, had a go at him, some saying he should be dropped and allowed to go to Oz then and there.
The lad pulled himself together and he was at his best before he departed to Sydney.
Changes in how he's expected to play over there, how his full back backs him up etc are maybe all different to his way at Wigan.
Not playing week in, week out with the same team is maybe taking its toll.
I wish he'd never left us, as I think he would have been as good as last season, if not better.
I'd have Joe back in a flash, especially with Josh departing.
Would be back to natural left and right wingers with Budgie and Freddie.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:I said it before he left he still had a lot to learn at Wigan before he headed off down under,I don't think he'll even come back to the super league next season,let's be fair there's no agreement in place to give Wigan first refusal is there?.
Those agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on. Mossop was off to Leeds until we offered more cash.

Burges coming back to Wigan or not should he leave the NRL will depend on who stumps up the most cash.
He should have waited another couple of years before going in my view but I wonder who was advising him at the time?
I don't think it was about advice but about the the player's contract being up and him and his agent looking around. I think Wigan were slow to act and he had signed a deal for the Roosters as there was one on the table.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wouldn't have him back. He was unproven when he left - anyone can have a good first season, you've got to back it up year after year to be a proven player. And if he's forced back after one season his confidence will be shot.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:I said it before he left he still had a lot to learn at Wigan before he headed off down under,I don't think he'll even come back to the super league next season,let's be fair there's no agreement in place to give Wigan first refusal is there?.
Those agreements aren't worth the paper they are written on. Mossop was off to Leeds until we offered more cash.

Burges coming back to Wigan or not should he leave the NRL will depend on who stumps up the most cash.
He should have waited another couple of years before going in my view but I wonder who was advising him at the time?
I don't think it was about advice but about the the player's contract being up and him and his agent looking around. I think Wigan were slow to act and he had signed a deal for the Roosters as there was one on the table.
You're not wrong i suppose the club does have to take the blame in not offering a deal he would have been happy with early,at that age though its a roll of the dice sport is littered with unfufilled careers so I can sympathise with the club to an extent.

On a side note no player should be resigned in my view,and yes i include Sam T in that sweeping statement you leave Wigan and that should be it,im a beleiver in the saying "you dont go back" in life as well as sport.
Panchitta Marra

Mike wrote:I wouldn't have him back. He was unproven when he left - anyone can have a good first season, you've got to back it up year after year to be a proven player. And if he's forced back after one season his confidence will be shot.
Was he not our highest try score in 2014/2015 with 26 tries, his 2nd Season.
52 tries from 55 games is a pretty good return if Wikipedia has got that right.
No faster winger in Superleague when he's fit and he knows where the try line is.
This was all prior to his departure Mike.
Would much of that change if he was to return to SL from NRL?
Panchitta Marra

Mike wrote:I wouldn't have him back. He was unproven when he left - anyone can have a good first season, you've got to back it up year after year to be a proven player. And if he's forced back after one season his confidence will be shot.
Was he not our highest try score in 2014/2015 with 26 tries, his 2nd Season.
52 tries from 55 games is a pretty good return if Wikipedia has got that right.
No faster winger in Superleague when he's fit and he knows where the try line is.
This was all prior to his departure Mike.
Would much of that change if he was to return to SL from NRL?