Challenge Cup Venues & Dates Announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Challenge Cup Venues & Dates Announced

Post by josie andrews »

The ticket prices are as much if not more expensive than the CC final or GF for that matter :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

josie andrews wrote:I'm not bothered about playing at Doncaster, it's just a Friday night + M62 ......nightmare

It's almost a 200 mile & 4 hours round trip for Wigan fans compared to a 92 mile & 1 1/2 hours round trip for Hull fans ????

Where is the fairness in that?
Josie, just to put it into perspective, either of the Hull teams NEAREST away game is Wakefield, about 60 miles. Other than Hull, this is our FURTHEST, also about 60 miles.
This doesn't make it right that we need to travel further than they do for a cup game, just saying.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'd say the league have looked into where they can attract the biggest attendances and therefore generate the highest income for the sport. Warrington are going to attract the majority of fans compared to Wakefield, so they have a convenient venue to get them in, at Leigh.
The same could have been said when we were given a semi at Leigh, when it was reasonably expected we'd take more fans there than London ?
And it's the same with Doncaster - the league expect the majority of fans for this tie would be Hull fans, so they've got the more handy trip. Based on the quarter finals, the league are correct in their workings when we could only get a pitiful home crowd for an attractive, tough fixture which the Away fans were a sizeable number.
On the other hand, Hull got a 10,000 crowd for a Saturday lunchtime ko, against a team with no away support.
If we'd got a decent crowd for Cas, it may have been different, with Leeds/Hudds a consideration, if available.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:What a joke; Leeds is the mid point between Hull and Wigan! Hell I think Hull even had a Dual Contract agreement with Doncaster at one time owin to its relstive proximity.

Leigh is equally unfair to Wakefield.
We had a 'neutral' semi final against London played at Leigh Sports Village just a few years ago.

Travel distance isn't necessarily the issue. London, Catalans etc have always had to travel further than most when they get to semi finals and Hull have also generally had to travel further than most.

The issue isn't the distance, the issue is the time and the day. There will be a large number of Wigan fans unable to make this game which is just plain wrong for a semi final.
I've said that cherry, not bothered about it being in Donny, just that it's a Friday!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

bill.inger wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I'm not bothered about playing at Doncaster, it's just a Friday night + M62 ......nightmare

It's almost a 200 mile & 4 hours round trip for Wigan fans compared to a 92 mile & 1 1/2 hours round trip for Hull fans ????

Where is the fairness in that?
Josie, just to put it into perspective, either of the Hull teams NEAREST away game is Wakefield, about 60 miles. Other than Hull, this is our FURTHEST, also about 60 miles.
This doesn't make it right that we need to travel further than they do for a cup game, just saying.
The fastest route from the DW stadium via M62 and M1 99.8 miles. About 1 hour 58 mins

From the KC stadium 50 min 48.4 miles via A63, M62 and M18

As I've already said, the distance doesn't bother me, I travel all over following Wigan, it's that it's being played on a Friday night!
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Hotel booked . Nightmare journey on a Friday afternoon but it is what it is . Needs must

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

So it's Warrington and the pikies who get home advantage based on the counties the games are played in plus distances to travel.
Warrington are being shoe horned into having a successful season this year IMO.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Neither of those venues are SL grounds. That is rubbish and a retrograde step. No wonder we don't attract high end sponsorship.
Wiganwarrior1

Post by Wiganwarrior1 »

Last train to Wigan from Doncaster is 20:41! The club should ask it to be changed. Both matches should be played in the afternoon over the weekend.
doc

Post by doc »

The semis should be played as a double header at Huddersfield on a Saturday afternoon. Easy to get to for most supporters form the heartland teams by train or road. In addition will make the crowd look bigger and hopefully fans of the wiiners of the first semi will hang around to see who they play in the final.