Tautai & Charnley charged

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Tautai & Charnley charged

Post by Wintergreen »

2 games for that touch is ridiculous.

I am all for respecting the ref but that is silly.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote:2 games for that touch is ridiculous.

I am all for respecting the ref but that is silly.
As M.C Hammer once said..cant touch this..the same goes for referees simple as that.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

So why wasn't Charnley sanctioned during the game if what he did was so heinous?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

yokozuna wrote:So why wasn't Charnley sanctioned during the game if what he did was so heinous?
Who knows,but in this day and age of HD tv and you can see pock marks on peoples faces on tv it was always going to be picked up by someone,no point bleating asbout it,he did wrong and the beak spoke,rightly in my view too,you simply do not touch,under any circumstance the ref.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Apply that logic to the rest of match and you would have.........no match.

How many correct PTB are made?

Let me think..........

If Charnley had threatened the ref in any way I would agree with you. He didn't.

There have been some VERY nasty tackles that received the same punishment. Tackles that could (and have) put players out of the game for months, or end careers (and livelihoods).

Are you seriously telling me that a tap on the arm is comparable?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Making contact with the referee is always a ban but what it does show is the frustration that Hicks caused by his incompetence. Charnley gets battered (and was during the match) but always gets up and plays on - Hicks was the final straw. Too bad the RL won't do anything about him.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

yokozuna wrote:So why wasn't Charnley sanctioned during the game if what he did was so heinous?
It's not about being heinous it's about keeping respect and order in the game

In the same way you wouldn't except a child grabbing at a teacher in a classroom.

The refs should be protected whatever you think of them they are out there and everyone hates them. You look on other boards and other fans think the refs are against them and Wigan get everything their own way.

I'm firmly in favour of Josh's ban and would like to see similar bans if it happens again. Refs should be protected they have a hard thankless job and the last thing you want is a football type treatment of them coming in
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote:Apply that logic to the rest of match and you would have.........no match.

How many correct PTB are made?

Let me think..........

If Charnley had threatened the ref in any way I would agree with you. He didn't.

There have been some VERY nasty tackles that received the same punishment. Tackles that could (and have) put players out of the game for months, or end careers (and livelihoods).

Are you seriously telling me that a tap on the arm is comparable?
Dear god yes,you don't touch the ref EVER

No argument,no oh he only tapped him/brushed whatever doesn't wash at all.

Don't touch the ref,what part don't you understand?
markill

Post by markill »

Looks like Tautai's 'not guilty' plea was based on not thinking his tackle was reckless. That word doesn't feature in the charge for the type of offence he committed so it's kind of a pointless argument - unlike, say, a high tackle one where there are careless, reckless, intentional built in to the charge wording. It also starts at a grade B, which is what he got. The panel might actually have given him some credit for a guilty plea that might have meant a 1 game ban like many grade B charges before this, so Wigan may have messed up in how they approached this charge.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

markill wrote:Looks like Tautai's 'not guilty' plea was based on not thinking his tackle was reckless. That word doesn't feature in the charge for the type of offence he committed so it's kind of a pointless argument - unlike, say, a high tackle one where there are careless, reckless, intentional built in to the charge wording. It also starts at a grade B, which is what he got. The panel might actually have given him some credit for a guilty plea that might have meant a 1 game ban like many grade B charges before this, so Wigan may have messed up in how they approached this charge.
I am more inclined to think they took notice of the comments of Brian McDermott in his post match press interview than anything that the club said about the matter.