More day time matches?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WiganWoman1968

Re: More day time matches?

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Unless forced to do so, the club will not shift from Friday night rugby. It's all about income and Friday generates the most dosh.
Maybe so for the club, but not for the supporters at the DW Stadium.

The Sunday games at Central Park were far better as you got a better atmosphere due to lively pub life around the Scholes and Wigan Lane area.

Now many of the pubs and clubs have either gone or those that are left no longer get the income generated by the Sunday games.

In the days of Central Park, I used to on occasions get into the players bar, but now like Football, it is now all about cooperate hospitality.

Boy, was I one of the lucky one's prior to 1999.
There was nothing like a pint in The Griffin before the match on Sunday afternoons. Sigh. Happy days.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WiganWoman1968 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Unless forced to do so, the club will not shift from Friday night rugby. It's all about income and Friday generates the most dosh.
Maybe so for the club, but not for the supporters at the DW Stadium.

The Sunday games at Central Park were far better as you got a better atmosphere due to lively pub life around the Scholes and Wigan Lane area.

Now many of the pubs and clubs have either gone or those that are left no longer get the income generated by the Sunday games.

In the days of Central Park, I used to on occasions get into the players bar, but now like Football, it is now all about cooperate hospitality.

There was nothing like a pint in The Griffin before the match on Sunday afternoons. Sigh. Happy days.
Yeah, I used to pull them, before closing up the pub dashing across for the game then dashing back at the final whistle to open up again ????????????????????????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Nezza Faz wrote:

I'd say the main reason SEFC, is the fixture congestion created by Sky. Over the years they've made Friday night their main programme 'filler' night, leading to short recovery weeks (4 days) if Sunday games are played, which the coaches aren't keen on. Some have actually said this is one of the reasons for all the injuries these days. To continually go from Sunday to Friday would put more strain on squads, with the temptation to include players who are not quite fit and the risk of aggravating the injury.
The hospitality factor is more a by product of clubs Friday night involvement, as that time slot will always attract the most income and guests/fans ?
Like every other club in this league Nezza Faz we are desperate for money. Season tickets continue to reduce, sponsorship is hard to come by and it is far easier attracting corporate hospitality on Friday's. To be fair to IFL, he continues to bankroll the club, along with his family, and without him we would be in a poor state. However, I presume that his funds are not bottomless and therefore he needs to reverse the present trend at Wigan (and in SL in general) of annual losses. It is quite simple, Sunday's do not generate the same amount of income as Friday's. Now, had the RFL struck a better financial deal regarding its TV rights then this may have offered the chairman more choice regarding the scheduling of games.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Maybe so for the club, but not for the supporters at the DW Stadium.

Yeah, I used to pull them, before closing up the pub dashing across for the game then dashing back at the final whistle to open up again ????????????????????????????????????
I knew I knew you from somewhere Josie. You were that quick you left Green Vigo for dead! :roll:
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
WiganWoman1968 wrote: There was nothing like a pint in The Griffin before the match on Sunday afternoons. Sigh. Happy days.
I knew I knew you from somewhere Josie. You were that quick you left Green Vigo for dead! :roll:
Billy & Joan always told me I was one of the best barmaids they'd ever had ???? Billy even started calling me his adopted daughter ????????

There was no computerised tills then either! You had to reckon up an order in your head. You also had to be able to serve several different customers at the same time!
Every home game it used to be 15 - 20 deep at the bar????????????????????
Loved it there at the Griffin ????????
It was my second job then, don't know how I did it, five nights & Sunday, sometimes a Saturday afternoon too :o

I also worked for Joe Price, RIP, ex Warrington player from Wigan, in his pub The Miners

I just went to help him out one New Years Eve cos non of his bar staff would work.
He said I was an angel sent from heaven lol

I used to work both bars on my own ????????????????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan