Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
6742hitch

Re: Smith

Post by 6742hitch »

I appreciate they are inexperienced, but whenever we lose it's only a matter of mere seconds before the head hunters are out, however, it was Manfredi's fumble in our own in goal area that lost us the spot in the final but not one person has mentioned this.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Josie's friend wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
josie andrews wrote: So has "Rads" told you something different in your "one to ones", that you are so adamant that you know the "truth" regarding Rads real opinions on Matty Smith?? I'm
Never been told anything by anyone. :eusa18:

Everybody tell WW that anything I say is totally made up :roll:
So why imply Rads told you something different when the truth for some people is a txt away. People need to learn the difference between fact and opinion or whatever shit Tommy makinson said to shut someone up from bothering them.

I know Tommy Makinson very well and would be interested to check
what he had presumably said, could you tell me what he said as you dont say on your post.

I will ring him and get an honest answer for you and maybe not what someone has assumed. mmmmmmmm
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It was a key moment score wise and a horrobile one out of character. Leeds or Saints peppered him recently and he was fantastic as he normally is. However, we lost that game over 80 minu and EVERY player and coach was part of why we lost. Win as a team; lose as a team.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

6742hitch wrote:I appreciate they are inexperienced, but whenever we lose it's only a matter of mere seconds before the head hunters are out, however, it was Manfredi's fumble in our own in goal area that lost us the spot in the final but not one person has mentioned this.
Very true if that was Smith that would have had dozens of pages by now. But its okay Manfredi is from the academy and not a Saints player they get away with it.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cherry.pie wrote:
thegimble wrote:
6742hitch wrote:I appreciate they are inexperienced, but whenever we lose it's only a matter of mere seconds before the head hunters are out, however, it was Manfredi's fumble in our own in goal area that lost us the spot in the final but not one person has mentioned this.
Very true if that was Smith that would have had dozens of pages by now. But its okay Manfredi is from the academy and not a Saints player they get away with it.
Or, people aren't criticising because Manfredi is one of the least error prone players in the side, is far more reliable than all of our other outside backs, dealt admirably with every cross field kick sent his way when facing one of the most dangerous wingers in Ryan Hall, and has generally not let us down previously.

If it was Smith, they might well say that he's been poor all year. Or at best inconsistent throughout the year, whereas Manfredi has rarely let us down, even if he's had quiet games.

Our outside backs make a lot of errors. Manfredi, comparatively, does not.

Also, his fumble didn't lose us the game, since we had so much time to get back into the game. It's like saying Gildart's forward pass cost us the game. It didn't. There were plenty of errors in that game. I doubt the players or coaches would pin the loss on that error so why should the fans.
Reason Manfredi does not make mistakes is more to do with the centre not getting the ball to him. If I was a Wigan winger I would be looking for another team now. The list of errors you put up is interesting looking at the mistakes made by the centres. None of the 3 are good enough only Gelling offers anything decent.

Smith has not been poor all season he plays well if the pack beats the other side. But our pack is crap due to various reasons. we have been out muscled in the last 3 games. Joey Johns could not play behind our pack. Unless Wane changes then he needs to be changed. Quite ironic that Smith was the 7 in 2013 one of out better attacking sides in the last 5 years.

Not one player has had a good season bar Bateman. Only Powell has improved. Williams has had a few poor games but they seem forgotten.

Only way for this Wigan side to get the best of the 6 and 7 week in week out is a new coach otherwise if we signed Cooper Cronk and Jamie Thurston we would still be in the same situation.
doc

Post by doc »

Before we signed Smith he was coming on leaps and bounds under the offensive coaching of Longy at Salford. A decent bit of coaching of the backs may work wonders with his game.

Incidentally, did anyone notice Sam Powell being pushed out of the way when he was acting as a "blocker" when Manfredi made the fumble; a foul that put Dom under increased pressure.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

thegimble wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
thegimble wrote: Very true if that was Smith that would have had dozens of pages by now. But its okay Manfredi is from the academy and not a Saints player they get away with it.
Or, people aren't criticising because Manfredi is one of the least error prone players in the side, is far more reliable than all of our other outside backs, dealt admirably with every cross field kick sent his way when facing one of the most dangerous wingers in Ryan Hall, and has generally not let us down previously.

If it was Smith, they might well say that he's been poor all year. Or at best inconsistent throughout the year, whereas Manfredi has rarely let us down, even if he's had quiet games.

Also, his fumble didn't lose us the game, since we had so much time to get back into the game. It's like saying Gildart's forward pass cost us the game. It didn't. There were plenty of errors in that game. I doubt the players or coaches would pin the loss on that error so why should the fans.
Reason Manfredi does not make mistakes is more to do with the centre not getting the ball to him. If I was a Wigan winger I would be looking for another team now. The list of errors you put up is interesting looking at the mistakes made by the centres. None of the 3 are good enough only Gelling offers anything decent.

Smith has not been poor all season he plays well if the pack beats the other side. But our pack is crap due to various reasons. we have been out muscled in the last 3 games. Joey Johns could not play behind our pack. Unless Wane changes then he needs to be changed. Quite ironic that Smith was the 7 in 2013 one of out better attacking sides in the last 5 years.

Not one player has had a good season bar Bateman. Only Powell has improved. Williams has had a few poor games but they seem forgotten.

Only way for this Wigan side to get the best of the 6 and 7 week in week out is a new coach otherwise if we signed Cooper Cronk and Jamie Thurston we would still be in the same situation.
Two really good posts. I do wish posters (not the above) would stop attacking individual players on this forum.
One thing that disturbed me on Friday night was to see at each of the early penalties that Hull conceded, Matty Smith was having to turn and give instructions to the rest of the team. Individual enterprise is always good within a team structure but there should be always be a set series of plays from a penalty after the ball comes back from touch. This, added to the lack of pretty much any visible activity from the coaching staff, made me wonder if the team had gone out with any specific instructions other than to run hard at Hull - which didn't seem to work. A similar comment might be made about tacking and defence where offloads brought early line-breaks, which we seemed not to be expecting or covering.

Worryingly, it looks as if the problem might be deeper than just some players being not 100% fit or having an off-night. Not sure which was the worse performance - Hull or St Helens but even more worryingly is how do we stop it happening again?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

doc wrote:Before we signed Smith he was coming on leaps and bounds under the offensive coaching of Longy at Salford. A decent bit of coaching of the backs may work wonders with his game.

Incidentally, did anyone notice Sam Powell being pushed out of the way when he was acting as a "blocker" when Manfredi made the fumble; a foul that put Dom under increased pressure.
Yes and to be fair Thaler asked the video ref to check offside and the possible push but I can't see that it affected DOM. Just an uncharacteristic error.
Love the BBC's effort to show offside from what looked like someone with a phone camera at the back of the stand.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Southern Softy wrote:
thegimble wrote:
cherry.pie wrote: Or, people aren't criticising because Manfredi is one of the least error prone players in the side, is far more reliable than all of our other outside backs, dealt admirably with every cross field kick sent his way when facing one of the most dangerous wingers in Ryan Hall, and has generally not let us down previously.

Two really good posts. I do wish posters (not the above) would stop attacking individual players on this forum.
One thing that disturbed me on Friday night was to see at each of the early penalties that Hull conceded, Matty Smith was having to turn and give instructions to the rest of the team. Individual enterprise is always good within a team structure but there should be always be a set series of plays from a penalty after the ball comes back from touch. This, added to the lack of pretty much any visible activity from the coaching staff, made me wonder if the team had gone out with any specific instructions other than to run hard at Hull - which didn't seem to work. A similar comment might be made about tacking and defence where offloads brought early line-breaks, which we seemed not to be expecting or covering.

Worryingly, it looks as if the problem might be deeper than just some players being not 100% fit or having an off-night. Not sure which was the worse performance - Hull or St Helens but even more worryingly is how do we stop it happening again?
For me Hull was due to the amount of tackles we fell off with 3-4 in
markill

Post by markill »

Contrast all that to 2014 when Smith had 25 assists in Super League, more than any Wigan player has had in a season as long back as the stats on the Super League website go (2013).

What was the difference that year, and what can we do to see more of that Smith?
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod