Re: Smith to Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:m

I'd say his physique, strength, and style of play someway negate his age in years. So not too worried about any "old boy" tag, in his case.
I hope you are right. The "old boys" have not yet justified IL's policy in bringing them back.

We did this once before when Betts came back and while he went well in Oz just as TL has (whereas our other leavers didn't fare so well) he never looked as good again playing of Wigan.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not concerned about this at all.
Unlike others, I think our recruitment and disposal of players has been pretty good over the last 2/3 years, post Lauaki and that Welsh Lard----. Moreover, the development of our young players like Sutton and now Shorrocks, has continued to be fabulous. As to Hampshire being somehow a misunderstood genius - a better coach than Wane plays him on the wing to cover injuries.
Clearly, Wane is not the man to win major games, and needs either to be replaced or have an astute tactician beside him. But that's by the by, and could be included in every thread.
As for Smith, it has all been said. Can't be faulted for effort or kicking ability, but has never had much of a passing or running game. Or not enough when he doesn't have the right players around him. Letting him go clarifies matters nicely.
Whoever coaches us next year will have a lot of talent to choose from.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Apologies for that above. I was trying to add on after DaveO's quote re Betts that Thornily, the Tomkin brothers, Mossop, all came back and needed time in the rehab unit to clear various injuries they had when IL signed them back. It's a knocking bet Tommy will hobble off the plane. I hope not but history does repeat itself.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

bill.inger wrote:
We did this once before when Betts came back and while he went well in Oz just as TL has (whereas our other leavers didn't fare so well) he never looked as good again playing of Wigan.
DaveO wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:m

I'd say his physique, strength, and style of play someway negate his age in years. So not too worried about any "old boy" tag, in his case.
I hope you are right. The "old boys" have not yet justified IL's policy in bringing them back.

[/quote]

So Bill, would you get rid of Sam now, in that case ?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

I don't know about getting shut it I wouldn't give a monkey's if he was out on loan to say Warrington or Widnes until he'd proved he was back to full fitness. He's soaking up a massive chunk of the salary cap and not turning it in, ergo, we've not signed or got the player that left to go to Aukland Warriors.
To be honest, a team full of Sam Tomkins' wouldn't raise my spirits after that show tonight.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

God wrote:Sam Tomkins is finished the sooner fans realise this the better.

My nan can run faster and put a step on and she's 92.
But has she got a beard :)
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

God wrote:Sam Tomkins is finished the sooner fans realise this the better.
I might not go that far but I see what you mean. Never known anyone to return to us as a better player and so far Sam hasn't broken the duck.

Annoying thing is that one improved facet is his ability under the high bomb. Never seen him fail all season but the trouble is he can't get shot fast enough. Before he went, his kick returns had the crowds off their seats as he was a danger every time he got the ball. Not any more!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The jury is out for me, I want to see him with a good pre-season behind him. Great players adapt their game but he may need a bit of help from the coach regarding a positional change.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:The jury is out for me, I want to see him with a good pre-season behind him. Great players adapt their game but he may need a bit of help from the coach regarding a positional change.
And in Wane we trust this positional change.Not much confidence in that then.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Is Sam not playing injured?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett