Positive thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Positive thread

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
Wishful thinking? Course it is - isn't that what a supporter is meant to do?
When I go to every game I leave the long discussions about Wane's future, Smiths half back play etc behind on the message board and will cheer every player even those I don't rate and I never go to a game thinking we can't win. It's sport and anything can happen.

So on game day I am as blind an optimist as the most cherry 'n white rose tinted specs wearing happy clapper.

That said if you think it's wishful thinking Faz and Gells getting a game under their belt is going to make us competitive v Saints you can imagine most people think the same so you aren't going to get many realistic responses.

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Sorry, I can't post anything positive when we've lost four of the last five games against some of the teams we'll meet again before the season ends.
Perhaps Wane needs to change his team talk from ##@# um to more varied tactics?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Only a thought, but the current loss/form sort of coincides with Bateman's return. Whilst his form has gradually improved, the team has not and I'm wondering if there are any simmering issues affecting the squad in general ?

Whist he was missing, we just about won every game (most away from home) and the spirit seemed to be red hot, and arguably got us home in a couple of those games.

Noticeably since Bateman came back, that same team spirit has been lacking. The effort's been there, but not that white-hot team spirit. So much so that against Wakefield, all the pats on the back returned, but I wonder if that was a proactive move, by the coach to paper over those cracks, to try and rekindle that impact ?

I don't know if there are any lingering thoughts still simmering in the camp ?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote:Only a thought, but the current loss/form sort of coincides with Bateman's return. Whilst his form has gradually improved, the team has not and I'm wondering if there are any simmering issues affecting the squad in general ?

Whist he was missing, we just about won every game (most away from home) and the spirit seemed to be red hot, and arguably got us home in a couple of those games.

Noticeably since Bateman came back, that same team spirit has been lacking. The effort's been there, but not that white-hot team spirit. So much so that against Wakefield, all the pats on the back returned, but I wonder if that was a proactive move, by the coach to paper over those cracks, to try and rekindle that impact ?

I don't know if there are any lingering thoughts still simmering in the camp ?
No.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Nezza Faz wrote:Only a thought, but the current loss/form sort of coincides with Bateman's return.

It also coincides with the Perseid meteor shower.

It's a sign in the skies, I tells ya! :lol:
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:The season ends on Saturday 8 October.
Love this post. CP has the ability to make a negative sound positive :D Nice one
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
Wishful thinking? Course it is - isn't that what a supporter is meant to do?
When I go to every game I leave the long discussions about Wane's future, Smiths half back play etc behind on the message board and will cheer every player even those I don't rate and I never go to a game thinking we can't win. It's sport and anything can happen.

So on game day I am as blind an optimist as the most cherry 'n white rose tinted specs wearing happy clapper.

That said if you think it's wishful thinking Faz and Gells getting a game under their belt is going to make us competitive v Saints you can imagine most people think the same so you aren't going to get many realistic responses.
Good to know that you're an optimist at games, Dave. I'll confess that I'm NOT a blind optimist as far as Wane goes - I do agree that we were better in attack when Harris was here, and don't appear to have replaced him like-for-like.

No, I didn't mean to suggest that Faz and Gells will be game-changers at this stage, just that they should be better than we saw against Cas.

The purpose of the thread is to do a bit to counter the constant stream of negative outlook and comment on here. Your opinions on Smithy and Wane are well-reasoned and perfectly valid, To be fair, you are not on every thread 10 times a day banging on about them either . . . but the combined effect of everyone's posts which repeat the same thing ad infinitum is something I find depressing and pointless.

Some, such as The Booze Hound, have given up posting because of this which only tips the balance further in favour of the doom and gloom brigade (no insult intended, just my response to the happy clapper tag :D )
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

People are entitled to their opinion and yes, CP's comment does make a negative become positive.
As a further adage we'll win two more matches this season in my opinion!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
SJ

Post by SJ »

I understand your sentiment Morley and your reason for posting but we are a forum and all people's honest opinions should be tolerated if they comply with the protocol of the site. I am what have been described as a happy clapper which I am proud of. I also don't go along with the view that our game ie RL is going down the tubes like some posters have expressed(which they entitled to do. It simply shows I can enjoy something they can't I love RL and have been a supporter when there was just me a blind man and his dog were present when we went into the second division There was no forum then but had there been I would have posted and no adverse post would not have caused me to stop posting. What I would hope is that Booze Hound et. al would return to the forum and express their views no matter how controversial they may be. There's no right or wrongs just opinions which are by definition subjective.
Ps to all the spel chekurs on the forum they wull ave a feeld day with my posts.

:lol: I'm rambling now. Well I am a "coughin doger
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

FPN was far more impressive on Friday.

Tautai continue to impress.

Apart from the Knock on from the kick off I thought Flower looked a yard quicker and more aggressive in contact