Truly great effort

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
phild1

Re: Truly great effort

Post by phild1 »

Ed Osmond wrote:Total respect for that performance.
It looked all over when Flower got sent off but the players showed terrific resilience and belief. Very pleased and impressed.
Lots of good displays but I give Smith, Williams and Tautai high marks.
== phild Wigan were clueless against a smarter Warrington squad I couldn't stand much more of the commentary squad,the only team on the park were the wolves and the only had eye's for hill and Clarke.how refreshing to see Wigan take the game by the scruff of the neck AND WIN.big part of the game is conning the ref for penalties at the play the ball,spoiling the game only needs the ref to ignore the thrashing about on the ground .noticed Clarke he appealed at every tackle last night.get a grip refs and stamp it out.
GBH

Post by GBH »

josie andrews wrote:
GBH wrote:Got to be the best match of the year what effort! that what we want to watch
We enjoyed that eh?
Did we! what a game you start to think its all over then boom, cant ever remember seeing players in with the fans while the game is still playing they truly wanted that and it showed.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Fantastic rugby league, really exciting.

Felt for the players for long periods. You cant beat Warrington if you cant dominate the collision or the ref allows touch rugby, which for the most part the ref did with Warrington in possession. Really annoys me the state of the ruck in SL but that's another story.

Back onto topic... We were excellent! Fast, tough RL and not obsessed with trying to find the overlap on every play. Really working into some good form now, which should see us have a right crack at the semi final.

Happy ????

jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Fantastic effort last night,it was if a switch had been flicked when Flower was sent off adrenaline kicked in we played what we saw in front of usforwards and backs running hard and backing up,to me they scrapped the game plan and just went for it so giving us the best game of the season and dare I say performance ,I think our backs should now be given licence to play what they see we've got the talent it's just not utilised enough. As for Tierneys try it did look dubious but if you look at the replays Ratchford went with the shoulder and pushed him towards the touchline so imo should have been an 8 point try also if the video ref can't make his mind up after a minute evidence is obviously inconclusive to overrule one way or the other. Let's hope we play like this for the rest of the season ☺
SJ

Post by SJ »

cpwigan wrote:Tonight was a different level though and we actually played quality RL, offloading, scoring points. Let's play what we see from now on. Far more entertaining.
The threads title and CP's post say everything for me. Enjoyed the game.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I truly believe that Wigan always do put in a "great effort" and their passion has never been in question. What I've always struggled with is the prescribed nature of our RL and the rigidity of our structured play.
Whether SW allowed it or whether the players just made the decision I don't know but we just played what was in front of us last night and boy oh boy did it show.
The other thing that showed was that Robert Hicks should be trusted with nothing more complicated than safety scissors and velcro shoes!! Completely out of his depth.
A big shout too for FPN. That is proving to be a very shrewd signing after a mediocre start. That offload to Williams after a great run is exactly the kind of play we need more of.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
OJ

Post by OJ »

That's the sort of game we have been looking out for all season. Second half was brilliant especially after BF was sent off - couldn't argue with the decision although I don't think the elbow was malicious or intentional.
Warrington forum is rather busy this morning :D and among others this comment made me smile - the rspca have declined warrington wolves offer to take some dogs off them due to them not being to able to hold onto a lead
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

Players seemed to show a TOTAL togetherness.Been some individual stuff by many this season,Bateman ,Gells,Williams,and more.Last night was a true Team effort.Everyone to a man stood up.Played with real passion,pride and in the Wigan way.
Said it previously,Hull,Sts,or Warrington wont want that Wigan in semi or final.
The fans also made the chest and hart big.Great job.

4G
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

OJ wrote:That's the sort of game we have been looking out for all season. Second half was brilliant especially after BF was sent off - couldn't argue with the decision although I don't think the elbow was malicious or intentional.
Warrington forum is rather busy this morning :D and among others this comment made me smile - the rspca have declined warrington wolves offer to take some dogs off them due to them not being to able to hold onto a lead
Thats funny,proper like that one.Speaking after the game with a few wire fans.Branded us as CHEETS.... :lol:

We said we will turn up next year with 11 men,sorta like a handicap.Give them a chance.

4G

Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

In a way, it was the 'new' Wigan.
Probably the best 20 minutes at the start of the match that we have played all season.
Probably the worst 3 tries we have conceded all season.
Probably the most inspired passages of play in the last 20 minutes all season.
Probably the most consistently inconsistent team we have ever had.
Gelling brilliant in attack - awful in defence.
Tautai - MOM last week - couldn't be trusted to hang on to the ball this week.
Big Frank - anonymous last week - every inch the perfect go-forward prop this week.
Tierney - woeful last week - excellent this week.
I guess this is what we are likely to see in the future but I thought the comeback was based around Liam Farrell, who seemed to me to be playing 2 roles in the last 25 minutes post the sending-off. As well as masterminding the defence on the left flank and gaining valuable yards, he was running the team from loose-forward in the middle of the park. Why he wasn't MOM I'll never know.
Agree about Hicks - just incompetent. One of those terrible referees (like Bentham) who having given one side lots of penalties thinks he has to even things up by giving lots to the other side. Result - both sets of players are unhappy. As for the Ratchford sin-binning? Who knows why and that includes Hicks I suspect.
Delighted to have won a truly improbable and memorable victory and just to further inflame things............... I thought Matty Smith had a very good game, despite having no protection when kicking and Shorrocks was a much better passer when he played as hooker. That speeded things up and made us look more dangerous.