Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Looks like Sam Powell as starting hooker this season

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:There are props scared of McIlorum’

Micky McIlorum has been hailed the toughest player of Wigan’s modern era ahead of his testimonial game.

Team-mates past and present, as well as opponents, have praised the Wigan No.9, who launches his special season with a friendly against Leigh today (Sunday).

Micky McIlorum represented England in the 2013 World Cup Sam Tomkins described the combative hooker as “easily the toughest” player he has encountered during his career.

And former stand-off Blake Green agreed – high-praise indeed from a player who spent the last two years with Melbourne Storm.

“Micky is the toughest player I’ve ever played with,” said Green, now at Manly. “He always led the way with his actions and someone the team loves playing alongside. “He should be tremendously proud of what he’s achieved. He’s such a popular character and he made my time in Wigan even more enjoyable, it was great to win some big wins with him.” I know fans regard him highly.

McIlorum will miss his benefit game at the Sports Village (kick-off 3pm) as he awaits further surgery on the ankle he broke last year ago playing against Brisbane.

He has his eyes fixed on a return to action in around two months, and prop Ben Flower has little doubt he will soon get his match-fitness back.

“He’s hardly been training, but the other day we were doing four in fives – four laps of the pitch in five minutes – and he destroyed it,” said the Welshman. “Not many players in Super League would have got the time he did, he just toughs everything out. I can’t wait to see him back.

“He’s renowned for being a big hitter – there aren’t many in the competition who can bang like he does. The boys who play at other teams I know, they tell you he rocks your teeth!”

Forward Joel Tomkins likened his aggression to a predecessor in the Wigan No.9 shirt. “I was very lucky to play alongside Terry Newton in my first season here,” said Tomkins. “And like Tez, Micky has that intimidation factor. “Opponents just aren’t quite as good when they’re playing Micky, and it puts you on the front-foot straight away.”

Former team-mate Lee Mossop, now at Salford, said: “To play 10 years is a feat in itself, especially the way he plays the game. He’s a real competitor. To have a hooker who can whack harder than you is a massive confidence-boost.”

Liam Farrell descibed him as “one of a kind”. “There are front-rowers who are pretty scared of him, they don’t want to run at him,” said the England forward. “He deserves everything he gets.”

Rugby director Kris Radlinski says McIlorum’s presence at Wigan often helps lure players to the club. “When I have looked to recruit new signings for the club, they all state that they look forward to play alongside him,” said the ex-Great Britain No.1.

And forward Willie Isa admits the chance to play alongside McIlorum was “one of the main reasons I signed.”

In McIlorum’s testimonial brochure, two of the country’s biggest legends salute the impact he has made at the club. Former GB captain Jamie Peacock says the 29-year-old “makes you earn your reputation”, recalling how McIlorum targeted him in their first encounter – when the hooker was at the start of his career.

“I regard him as a players’ player. People hate playing against him and they love playing alongside him, and that’s because players notice what he does,” said Peacock.

And Adrian Morley, who earned 50 caps for his country, said: “I know supporters regard him highly. “Believe me, players rate him even higher. Because players know how hard he hits, and that’s why opponents are wary of him.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-l ... -1-8344853
How many of us would have been screaming in pain with the injury Micky suffered last season.
The lad didn't even wince on one horrific injury, which shows just how tough the bloke is.
He knows how to handle himself with plenty of boxing training which he loves to do and he has one he'll of a killer instinct that few people possess.
There's no wonder that other players are fearful of Micky McIlorum.
A great strength to have in your team.
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

I am a massive MM fan and he is a unique player but so is Sam P - they are 2 different players which in my opinion is good. MM was never the fast ball playing num9 (now with that horrendous injury his speed may be even less but time will tell) but he is harder than white dog sh**e! (sorry for the language) SP has a lot more brains than brawn and I would like to see him coming off the bench when teams tire and doing a daryl clark type attack challenging defences and so forth. to compare the 2 in my opinion isn't fair to either one.
SJ

Post by SJ »

So it seems being a tough player!=great player That's settled then as long has I know. Silly me I always thought it was skill (of Which SP has in spades) that made a player great when all this time it was having a Neanderthal constitution ????
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

SP was outstanding last season and certainly deserves to be starting hooker this year, however people have short memories and are writing a player off after getting potentially a career ending injury, how delightful! MM has done nothing but give 100% for this club and in my opinion been a fantastic hooker, without him we wouldn't have won some very big games and even trophies in recent seasons. However, let's forget all that and criticise him whilst he is trying to recover from a dreadful injury (that would no doubt end most careers) so he can play for our wonderful club again and give nothing but his heart on his sleeve and without doubt quality hooker play!

Very classy from some!! :eusa17:

Lets ignore what his teammates and legends like Peacock and Morley say about him and all agree with posters on here!! :lol: :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:SP was outstanding last season and certainly deserves to be starting hooker this year, however people have short memories and are writing a player off after getting potentially a career ending injury, how delightful! MM has done nothing but give 100% for this club and in my opinion been a fantastic hooker, without him we wouldn't have won some very big games and even trophies in recent seasons. However, let's forget all that and criticise him whilst he is trying to recover from a dreadful injury (that would no doubt end most careers) so he can play for our wonderful club again and give nothing but his heart on his sleeve and without doubt quality hooker play!

Lets ignore what his teammates and legends like Peacock and Morley say about him and all agree with posters on here!! :lol: :lol:
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

morley pie eater wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:SP was outstanding last season and certainly deserves to be starting hooker this year, however people have short memories and are writing a player off after getting potentially a career ending injury, how delightful! MM has done nothing but give 100% for this club and in my opinion been a fantastic hooker, without him we wouldn't have won some very big games and even trophies in recent seasons. However, let's forget all that and criticise him whilst he is trying to recover from a dreadful injury (that would no doubt end most careers) so he can play for our wonderful club again and give nothing but his heart on his sleeve and without doubt quality hooker play!

+1 :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:

And me.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

could somebody who knows about stats maybe post a list featuring MM, SP, Roby and 2 or 3 other current SL Hookers, then maybe that would end the argument :)
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
morley pie eater wrote: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

And me.
+3
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

FWarrior wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
And me.
+3
Add my name to that list. Although I think it is only right that Micky has to oust Sam.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards