IS DALLAS THE FASTEST?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: IS DALLAS THE FASTEST?

Post by pedro »

ian.birchall posted:
robjoenz posted:

I think he may have lost a yard or two in the last couple of years.
Too true Rob, wingers slow down with each knee injury and Dallas has had more than his fair share, the latest one will not do him any favours at 30 either. I think that was one of Offiahs strengths, I do not remember him having any catastrophic knee injuries, certainly none to affect him on the dance floor. :roll:
Thats because he never took a tackle and Gene Miles gave him a mile to run.
Albert might have been faster but Dallas is twice the player.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pedro posted:
ian.birchall posted:
robjoenz posted:

I think he may have lost a yard or two in the last couple of years.
Too true Rob, wingers slow down with each knee injury and Dallas has had more than his fair share, the latest one will not do him any favours at 30 either. I think that was one of Offiahs strengths, I do not remember him having any catastrophic knee injuries, certainly none to affect him on the dance floor. :roll:

Of all the Wingers in SL apart from Vainakolo id take Dallas anyday. Defencivly hes great and awsome when in space. Vainokolo is a better attacking winger but Dallas does have it all.

One of Wigans Great wingers and weve had some good ones.
pedro

Post by pedro »

thegimble posted:
pedro posted:
ian.birchall posted: Too true Rob, wingers slow down with each knee injury and Dallas has had more than his fair share, the latest one will not do him any favours at 30 either. I think that was one of Offiahs strengths, I do not remember him having any catastrophic knee injuries, certainly none to affect him on the dance floor. :roll:

Of all the Wingers in SL apart from Vainakolo id take Dallas anyday. Defencivly hes great and awsome when in space. Vainokolo is a better attacking winger but Dallas does have it all.

One of Wigans Great wingers and weve had some good ones.
Well said totally agree
willie c

Post by willie c »

just watched england france game calderwood made some ground to cover from other side of field when the french broke was impressed with his overall game and willingness
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
ragman

Post by ragman »

i still think that Preston was the fastest over the sort of distance that matters - about 40-50 yards. I accept that Offiah had the edge over the length of the field, but that is seldom relevant in a game.

Biggest tragedy for me in terms of wingers, is that Ray Mordt didn't come to the club 5 years earlier than he did. I trained with that man and he was a freak. The strongest bloke I have ever met, and despite incredible naivety about our game, still a brilliant winger. He had pace, toughness and strength that would make Inga jealous.If he had come when it was first mooted, along with Danny Gerber, that would have been the best 3/4 partnership our game had ever seen
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

pie eaters posted:
I would only have vainakolo , and maybe gardner at his best
Having just watched Gardner play for England i wouldnt touch him witha barge pole
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

mark preston looked fastest to me ,plus he was running through crap pitches.liam colbon looks really fast
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Remember the try Offiah scored at Wembley in '94? Got the ball on his own 20yard line, went round two players then skinned Tait on the outside. breathtaking. There are of course other great try's but that is right up at the top in my list. :D

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ian.birchall posted:
do not remember him having any catastrophic knee injuries, certainly none to affect him on the dance floor. :roll:
Offiah's weakness was his feet and ankles - pretty sure that he never had a knee reconstruction. The other injury that he really suffered from was a broken bone in his back - thanks to andy northy in a Good Friday game

Offiah was the fastest for me - he didn't run he glided! Not the best player defensively - however the amount of end to end tries he scored were fantastic to watch and must have demoralised countless teams. I remember seeing him score against Widnes in the Grand Slam season, where he beat 6 widnes players and none of them laid a hand on him!

I think that even now Dallas is one of the fastest - however those who he doesn't beat with pace, he beats with skill, intelligence and passion - I'll take Dallas over Gardner 10 times out of 10
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
redhead

Post by redhead »

Sutty I remember that one very stitched them up Tait didn't know which way to turn, as for gardner I also would not touch him with a barge pole if he is able to catch the ball to start with, which can be few and far between he can only run if no one is in front of him otherwise he goes down like he's been shot.
the little walnut