Sam to Catalan?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Sam to Catalan?

Post by josie andrews »

Someone close to the club moreorless confirmed it to me tonight.
All the benefits & perks he’ll get while playing in France, plus what he will get if he finishes his career there for two years after he finishes playing.

Then there’s the tax benefits, especially if he's married & he gets married next January!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

DaveO wrote:
Cherry_Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:Surplus to requirements that Tomkins bloke obviously!
That isn't the point though is it? Is a 29 year old worth a 4 year deal on marquee money?
I think tonight he proved the answer is yes. Last week no Lockers we lose v Cats. This week no Sam, we lose v Leeds.

It may have only been for the last 10 minutes but you tell me if you think Escare would have pulled that off?

These two players bring cool heads and experience. Is he worth the money you ask? Are we playing Monopoly or Rugby League? Is my response.

I agree with the gist of the rest of your post. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to me you are suggesting when it's a lost cause the players are tossing the Wane play book out of the window?

If so and you want for us to at least have that option then the players we need Lockers to carry on until he is 45 and Sam signed up for another four years. No one else in the side is going to grab the game by the scruff of the neck when the need arises.
I still say no to a 4 year deal but thats what a forum is for. We will have to agree to disagree on that one. To answer your last point.. Yeah it seems to me that we have some sort of game plan (i don't know what it is though) to run direct up the middle nd when that doesn't work then just let the leash of and let them play how they want. We got away with it last night but other games we have tried this and failed like Warrington away, Saints on Good Friday and in the CC final. I love watching off the cuff rugby like that. Cas adopted that model last season and were a joy to watch. I even went to Widnes last season when they played Cas just so i could see it for myself and it was great. They ripped Widnes to shreds. It looks increasingly likely that Sam's replacement will be Hardaker. With the deafening silence from the RFL about his ban or lack of one suggests to me that the lawyers at Wigan are trying to strike a deal with them so we can sign him. I can see some kind of statement saying he has got a 1 year ban backdated from when the test was done thus enabling him to join in pre-season. As much as a divided opinion as Hardaker causes there is no doubting his ability and if he can keep his nose clean :D :D we will have one hell of a player. Younger, faster, plays off the cuff. I have been told that Wigan are actually employing him at the moment. I don't know what capacity that is but that's what i have been told.

One thing i hate about our current regime is how the players call Shaun Wane 'Waney'. I can't stand it. It's just not professional. Coach, Gaffer, Boss anything but Waney. It just shows how comfortable the set up is. That is a good thing in a way but the 'mates' mentallity really gets on my wick, It doesn't command respect or authority.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Come on Lanagan, your gob is to keep top player at Wigan, SO DO IT NOW
Ken Blinston
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Ken wrote:Come on Lanagan, your gob is to keep top player at Wigan, SO DO IT NOW
You can't negotiate with someone who doesn't want to engage with you. We need to move on and secure other options.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote:
Then there’s the tax benefits, especially if he's married & he gets married next January!
What are the tax benefits? Surely anyone living in France and working in France will pay French taxes? And I don't think they are lower than ours, to say the least.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Ken wrote:Come on Lanagan, your gob is to keep top player at Wigan, SO DO IT NOW
You can't negotiate with someone who doesn't want to engage with you. We need to move on and secure other options.
That's rubbish he has been engaging with the club. They informed him he would not be marquee signing next season and wage would drastically change. He has took the option to find another club and look after his own interests. And by the way SW is actively helping him. There is no sour grapes or fall out he thinks he is worth the money Wigan don't as simple as that. Makes me sick all this slating of sam now he has decided to move on. One thing I am 100% sure of big mistake. There's only lockers in side other than sam with the rugby know how and win mentality. I have said this before and will repeat Williams and Powell are not the answer and never will be in any positions. Williams a marquee signing don't make me laugh.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
What are the tax benefits? Surely anyone living in France and working in France will pay French taxes? And I don't think they are lower than ours, to say the least.
I was told that the tax is 6% which goes down to 2% when married. I’m just repeating what I was told. I don't know how true it is!

It is a Rumour Mill! ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I didn't think those sort of tax rates existed outside Middle Eastern oil sheikdoms! France is widely regarded as being the most highly taxed country in Europe.
bertina

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
That's rubbish he has been engaging with the club. They informed him he would not be marquee signing next season and wage would drastically change. He has took the option to find another club and look after his own interests. And by the way SW is actively helping him. There is no sour grapes or fall out he thinks he is worth the money Wigan don't as simple as that. Makes me sick all this slating of sam now he has decided to move on. One thing I am 100% sure of big mistake. There's only lockers in side other than sam with the rugby know how and win mentality. I have said this before and will repeat Williams and Powell are not the answer and never will be in any positions. Williams a marquee signing don't make me laugh.
This is absolutely correct.
Williams gets a rise, Powell gets a rise, Sam gets a pay cut. You can’t make it up.
Watch the games week in week out. Powell is a good defender, period. Offers nothing whatsoever in attack.
Williams, I just don’t get at all. Bang average at best.
Where on earth this marquee status has come from is totally beyond me.
I have absolutely nothing against Williams personally as I don’t know the lad, but he is just not good enough.
We need 2 half backs desperately.
When Sam goes we have nobody to guide us through games except Lockers. If he decides to retire then god help us.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Let's get this right I am not slating Sam, I would have him in my team every day of the week. Given you know all about his contract situation tell me what did the fourth year of his contract stipulate? As far as I am concerned every player should look after number one because nobody else is going to do it. As far as I am concerned, I don't have any gripes as long as players see out their contract. Sam is free to negotiate with who he wants and Wigan are within their rights to offer what they feel he is worth. However, I stick by my comment that Sam is not easy to negotiate with. Lastly, who informed him that he would not be a marquee player?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards