New Assistant Coach is .......

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

Re: New Assistant Coach is...

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Fraggle posted:
pie eaters posted:
They are both decent coaches. Tommy Martyn is a good choice becuase he was devastated not to be the new Leigh Boss but i thought Goulding was doing ok with rochdale???
What's Martyn's experience as a coach? Has he got any? I know some on here have yet to accept Millward as coach of Wigan (hello Ian.Birchall!), I'd have the same view if Martyn came to the club. There are three players from the recent modern game I would cross the street to avoid having to walk past, and that ugly, arrogant, toad is one of them. Just because we've got the ex-Skints coach here now doesn't mean we have to turn the rest of the team into a St Helens old boys club. At least Blobby Goulding's got some history at Wigan, and some experience as a coach, but the gurning monkey's only link to Wigan is that he was universally hated by Wigan fans as a player.
I certainly didn't hate him as a player apart from the many occasions he played exceptionally well against us. At a time when GB was crying out for a true stand off he had a spell - between injuries - when he was the outstanding GB candidate and how he never received a cap will always mystify me. Having said that, I totally agree that we do not want him at Wigan. As you say, he has no credentials whatsoever and as far as I can gather all he did at Leigh was take them for a ride. I have backed Millward all the way so far, but if he brings Martyn to Wigan I will have to think again.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

jinkin jimmy posted:
I certainly didn't hate him as a player apart from the many occasions he played exceptionally well against us.
That was what I was thinking of really, one of those players who is actually very very good, but that you absolutely hate to see turn out against your team because you know he will cause problems, and Tommy Martyn certainly caused more than a few problems to to us over the years. Rob Burrow is another, I think he's a very good player but I hate to see him turn out against Wigan because we can never seem to cope with his height.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Portsmouth Warrior

Post by Portsmouth Warrior »

It was Milly who got rid of Tommy Martin from skints and Bobby Goulding left Wigan under a cloud. I am not sure why either would come to the club.

That said, as had been pointed out, why the hell would we want either of these muppets. I would give Milly a bit more credit that that.
Pies are nice, and so are mice !!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Even i dont think millward will bring either of these to the club, hes not that stupid, or is he? It could certianly be a test of how stupid he actually is. I dont think either of these will come to wigan, not when farrar's the u21's coach and i expect millward to actually being someone good with plenty experience to the club. But then again when did he ever do anything by the cook.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
Dennis Betts did not have much expierence at coaching but he did very well
At this rate you'll have a new career as a stand-up comedian in no time at all! If Betts was doing well, I'd hate to have seen a bad coach at Wigan. I gave the bloke the benefit of the doubt more than most, in light of the injury crises we had, but there's absolutely no argument that he was very tactically naive, from selecting his captain to his substitution policies.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

pie eaters posted:
Well he never took us to the two most embarrasing defeats in wigan history.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I wonder whether we would have ended up with 3-digit scores against us had Betts remained in charge?
I want to see how Millward does this season beuase the team he had at St helens was inherited and he took saints to their lowest ever league psition
Wasn't that inherited team one that featured a certain Tommy Martyn, by any chance?

I'm not one to go for any "good player, therefore he'll turn into a good coach" type arguments - some of the best coaches were average at best players - but in terms of Tommy, being assistant coach at the worst, relegated team in Superleague is hardly the most glowing record he could wish to bring to a club with ambitions to win the league.

[hr]
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

persoanally id like to see shaun edwards move heaven and earth to get him here :lol: :cool: :blush: :conf: :roll: :wink: :wink: :exc: :sly:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

God almighty it would be like signing a new halfback getting him in the club again. The problem is that Edwards is no shrinking violet and Milly likes to rule the changing room big bang theory would be proof tested it would be a nice to think it would work but we all know it wouldnt.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pie eaters posted:
Personally i wouldnt have either of them
Me either. Just what do they bring to the club? They have very little experience. Shaun Wane would be a better choice with the job of U18 being the one advertised.

The club has supposed to have interviewed two candidates but I can't see the likes of Goulding interviewing very well.

I got the impression from the RL Raw program that coaching in the NL1 is pretty much the out of the old Alex Murphy school - "motivation" and not a lot else.

Hardly the best qualifiactions for a modern day SL coach.
i would of preferred to get an expierenced coach in like Shane Mcnally or Neil Kelly becuase there are no jobs available so i would like to see if they might of joined[/b]
Neil Kelly is being put forward as the preferred chpice on rlfans but is unavailable having just moved house to Bangor in Ireland to coach with Ultster RU.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mike binder posted:
persoanally id like to see shaun edwards move heaven and earth to get him here
No head coach would ever want Edwards as assistant. As soon as he arrived the speculation would be when is the head coach leaving.

A couple of bad results and you would see the forums and the press rife with speculation of Millwards immanent replacement by Edwards.

So he would never tolerate such an appointment in the first place.

Edwards is one of my all time favourite players and provided the game has not passed him by technically, he would make a good head coach one day. At the moment I would not want him as assistant to Millward for the same reasons as I mention above. I would not want that sort of speculation rocking the boat.

Millward is the coach, he has a three year deal so let him sort his assistant out himself and hopefully we can have a happy crew on a tight run ship.

That said if he appoints Goulding or Martyn I would be very surprised at those choices.

Dave