How can we loose that?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: How can we loose that?

Post by Mike »

superleague posted:
dont agree that higham was good he was average at best godwin has proved in very game we have played that he is better end of rant.
25 minutes gone inthe first half and Higham missed 3 play the balls when we were working away from our own 20 metre line. He got there finally for the 4th tackle! He looked very tired and didn't come out for the start of the 2nd half. Is his fitness less than it should be, or was he working harder in defence than I noticed?

Wagga changes the game when he comes on. He makes defences at the ruck look silly. If you ask me hie could be as good as danny mcguire in terms of pace of the mark and side stepping. I thought he should have been benched at the start of the second half and come back on towards the end - if we are going to rotate hookers, lets have him running at a tired defence eh? He's going to be a good 'un this season. :roll:
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wagga has been awesome.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

It's obvious higham isnt an 80minute player, but at the moment he doesnt appear to be a 40minute player. He looked a lot sharper tonight than he did in France, but godwins pace from the ruck is amazing and his ability to squeeze through gaps would be great if we had more support. Reckon higham should be tried at half back if millwards having a play about, higham and godwin on the field would have the opposition in a fluster.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
I know the results do not make for pleasant reading but do not be too disheartened. We are not anywhere near our best yet and we played a top 3 team off the park in the first half.

You what? Had they not bombed three chances with the line begging on the Wigan right in the first half the half time score would have looked very different. OK they didn't take their chances but to say we played them off the park is simply not correct.
O'Loughlin will be a fine captain. Do not write people off too quickly.
Given I said he was not ready to be captain long before he was appointed, I am not basing the fact the he cleary isn't a captain on a gut reaction to the fact we looked like a rudderless ship in the second half.

Once Leeds got a roll on he was unable to rally the troops and it was just like last season all over again. No leader on the park.

On the evidence of the two games so far my opinion on appointing Lockers as captain has been vindicated so far.

I presume he was selected at stand-off to beef our defence up.
If that was so then his selectiuon there is even more bemusing because if there is one thing Orr can do it is tackle.

How often has it been said on this message board Orr does too much work in defence? Now he has been dropped so his replacement can improve it!

As others have said if Orr is out of favour and Brown is so good why are we playing Lockers at stand off!

If Brown isn't gong to be given a chance when Orr is droped then there are better players for a bench spot in my opinion.
I just keep thinking add Hock/Fletcher/Rads to that team and you have an awfully good team.
It can hardly get any worse! Any team that loses at home by letting in 22 unanswered points in the second half from 16 nil up is, well, garbage not to put too fine a point on it.

Games last 80 minutes not 40 and they can look like mega stars for the first 40 but if they collapse and loose like that it counts for nothing.
It's hard when you see such a good first half to stomach defeat but do not crack, do not turn on players. They will come good.
I decided as it was the first game of the season to make the journey back to Chester after work to pick my son up, then to Hindley to pick my Dad up. I left work at ten to four and sat down at the JJB five minutes before kick off.

I feel given my efforts to support the team I can vent my disgust at that pathetic second half with some justice. As far as I was concerned I was short changed.

Did any of the players get coaches player of the match? I hope not because on that second half performance none of them deserved it and I'd be surprised if they had the gall to show up in the bar afterwards.

Complete and utter garbage.

Dave

pedro

Post by pedro »

Well said Dave.

I feel cheated and am gutted for the second week in a row.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Lockers15 posted:
and vaeliki played superbly in my eyes
Lets get him playing like that on the field then!

To be fair I've been impressed by the improvement in Vaealiki this season compared to last.

I wasn't so impressed with Calderwood in the second half. He's very fumbly with the ball on the ground, good under the high ball most of the time though. I thought he looked very timid when running the ball at the Leeds defence, whether it was nerves or whether he was suffering from an injury I don't know.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

What happened to Calderwood.
He's the only player I could point out for having a particulary poor game.
Did nothing on kick return and that last pass to Ashton was a shocker
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Dave your obviously upset. Simmer down, sleep on it.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

robjoenz posted:
I wasn't so impressed with Calderwood in the second half. He's very fumbly with the ball on the ground, good under the high ball most of the time though. I thought he looked very timid when running the ball at the Leeds defence, whether it was nerves or whether he was suffering from an injury I don't know.
Thats because he is a dodgy player, he was dodgy at leeds nad he is dodgy at wigan. He's got pace, but he is v dodgy at rugby skills. Get used to teams constantly targeting him with bombs. Having said that, he didn't make any big mistakes today and was very good under the high ball - so well done Mark and keep it up!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
Dave your obviously upset. Simmer down, sleep on it.
I have had plenty of time to simmer down on the journey back form Wigan, via Hindley Green to Chester.

And in any case apart from the last couple of paragraphs of my earlier post where I express my disgust the teams shambolic second half, I think I make some fair points.

To put Wigan's two performances in perspective look at Salford. Played two won two, none of us would consider a "banker" for a Wigan win on current form and nilled a side that scored 38 points against us.

Yes I know Jones was injured but for crying out loud for Salfords defence to be 38 points better than ours is cause for concern.

On the evidence of these two games the team is playing little better than last year. Flashes of individual brilliance are no use if the defence ships an avergage of 30 points s game, which is what we are doing.

At half time my son said to me "Dad, they are not going to blow it in the second half are they?"

I said "Well the"y have done it before" but i didn't actually think they would !! (Once again).

Dave