Lam Out!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Lam Out!

Post by the pieman »

playing devils advocate here, but would anyone take Woolf for example?

i have friends who are Saints fans and they find his brand of rugby boring, and feel he has taken them backwards. I know from the games i have seen, i really havent been impressed with them at all, but we cant really argue they are the best team over here at the minute, but have they really got anything to beat, other than poss Catalan to come top / GF.

is it that the game over here is now more defence orientated than it has been previously and the attack so structured that there is very little off the cuff type play allowed? I know when MM came over here he brought a new attitude to defending, and we saw some good attacking rugby, but a lot of that was structured in a way to draw the defenders to one side of the pitch, then we switched it with Sam linking in and usually scored
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

We desperately need an outside perspective. Assuming its Peet and Wane next season "which reliable sources on here would lead us to believe" then nothing changes. You've got another club man with loyalties to players and senior players will exert an influence on the way things are done. Give it Lockers you've got the same situation. It needs someone with no previous association with the club to come in and completely overhaul things. No loyalties to any players, judge it purely on what he sees and get rid of the deadwood.

Michael Maguire did it a decade ago, Holbrook did it at Saints. Promoting from within is great and we have a great tradition of bringing players through the system but sometimes you need that outside perspective to highlight what you don't want to see.

I have no problem with losing games. If the team give their all and the opposition are better on the day then fine. What we saw on Friday was a group of individual players wearing Wigan shirts going through the motions. Gildart might as well be stood down for the rest of the season for what he's offered. His head is already in Sydney. Hastings seems to be 2 yards ahead of everyone else. When was the last time he put Farrell through the gap, He was putting him through for fun earlier in the season but the timings are all gone. Partington and Smithies after promising starts to their career seem to have stood still. Partington just gives penalties away for fun. Bateman shows glimpses but isn't producing what we've come to expect from him. One stat I would love to see is how many times we have been penalised or marched back 10m for gobbing off at the referee. I would hazard a guess that its a lot more than any other club. It just emphasises the lack of discipline and complete lack of control that Lam has.

In the next couple of months the club are going to expect me to fork out the best part of £500 for 2 season tickets. Add onto that it's an hour drive (if the M6 behaves) there and back to Staffordshire for each home game as well. Based on what we're watching at the moment, why the hell would I want to do that? I'll support my team til i'm blue in the face, but at the very least I expect to come away feeling like the team gave their all on the park. Right now I don't feel like that.
Shaun Wane Legend

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

And look what’s happened since he left. Just because “50%” of the fans on here wanted something hardly means it should happen. At least visiting teams expected a battle when they played us.
Mike wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:53 am
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:37 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 pm

I think this has to be a point made at the fans forum - that fans want to see something new and exciting not wane talking about being dumb and detail again while grinding out games - it needs fresh eyes someone with no ties to any players and no preferences
But Wane rugby not being exciting is just a lie, so many good tries and good attack rugby but the anti Wane brigade just claimed that was players ignoring the plan.

Not that I think Wane back long term is a good idea but if we could have him short term to steady the ship (say the next 3 games) it would be great.
It was boring and at least 50% of the users on here wanted him out after year 2.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

AndyNick wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:58 am We desperately need an outside perspective. Assuming its Peet and Wane next season "which reliable sources on here would lead us to believe" then nothing changes. You've got another club man with loyalties to players and senior players will exert an influence on the way things are done. Give it Lockers you've got the same situation. It needs someone with no previous association with the club to come in and completely overhaul things. No loyalties to any players, judge it purely on what he sees and get rid of the deadwood.

Michael Maguire did it a decade ago, Holbrook did it at Saints. Promoting from within is great and we have a great tradition of bringing players through the system but sometimes you need that outside perspective to highlight what you don't want to see.

I have no problem with losing games. If the team give their all and the opposition are better on the day then fine. What we saw on Friday was a group of individual players wearing Wigan shirts going through the motions. Gildart might as well be stood down for the rest of the season for what he's offered. His head is already in Sydney. Hastings seems to be 2 yards ahead of everyone else. When was the last time he put Farrell through the gap, He was putting him through for fun earlier in the season but the timings are all gone. Partington and Smithies after promising starts to their career seem to have stood still. Partington just gives penalties away for fun. Bateman shows glimpses but isn't producing what we've come to expect from him. One stat I would love to see is how many times we have been penalised or marched back 10m for gobbing off at the referee. I would hazard a guess that its a lot more than any other club. It just emphasises the lack of discipline and complete lack of control that Lam has.

In the next couple of months the club are going to expect me to fork out the best part of £500 for 2 season tickets. Add onto that it's an hour drive (if the M6 behaves) there and back to Staffordshire for each home game as well. Based on what we're watching at the moment, why the hell would I want to do that? I'll support my team til i'm blue in the face, but at the very least I expect to come away feeling like the team gave their all on the park. Right now I don't feel like that.
For me, this is spot on. At the end of the day, even given club loyalty, sport is about entertainment and needs to be able to compete with every other opportunity that we have for entertainment and leisure. Wigan rugby is no different. I'd also add that a Wane/Peet combo doesn't fill me with any enthusiasm as I'm firmly in the camp that became seriously bored with the Wane style of play long before he left and went away from many matches bemoaning our very predictable style of play.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

^ Me too.

I like to use a Rugby Union analogy.

Image a game where the team fielded 15 forwards and effectively turned it into 80mins of one big rolling maul.

Could be highly effective but clearly not exactly a spectacle for the supporters.

Extreme situation that proves a point. RL is ultimately a business that needs to entertain it's customers.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

the pieman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:49 am playing devils advocate here, but would anyone take Woolf for example?

i have friends who are Saints fans and they find his brand of rugby boring, and feel he has taken them backwards. I know from the games i have seen, i really havent been impressed with them at all, but we cant really argue they are the best team over here at the minute, but have they really got anything to beat, other than poss Catalan to come top / GF.

is it that the game over here is now more defence orientated than it has been previously and the attack so structured that there is very little off the cuff type play allowed? I know when MM came over here he brought a new attitude to defending, and we saw some good attacking rugby, but a lot of that was structured in a way to draw the defenders to one side of the pitch, then we switched it with Sam linking in and usually scored
it feels easier to debate the style of play when you are winning

it couldnt possbiy be worse could it

we have the worst Points for per game of any team in the league - leigh are scoring more per game than we are, Saints are 3rd so they maybe boring but they are scoring points - ive never felt saints were boring they are just more defence focused than they probably were previously
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:49 am playing devils advocate here, but would anyone take Woolf for example?

Woolf plays,dare I mention it a Wane type game,successful but boring to watch
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:03 am

it feels easier to debate the style of play when you are winning

it couldnt possbiy be worse could it

we have the worst Points for per game of any team in the league - leigh are scoring more per game than we are, Saints are 3rd so they maybe boring but they are scoring points - ive never felt saints were boring they are just more defence focused than they probably were previously
I can’t remember a more inept team as Wigan at scoring,stats can lie and they usually do but this can’t be avoided really it’s there in black and white
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Has he not gone yet ??????
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Big Steve wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:26 am Has he not gone yet ??????
Not yet…… my guess is he goes straight after the cas game…… wouldnt it make the emergency fans meeting more easier for the club?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE