Wigan vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: Wigan vs Leeds

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:51 pm I think we should change the title of this topic from “Wigan v Leeds” to “Let’s all bash Sam Powell Again & Again”)!!
Was thinking just the same. A cracking performance against Leeds, which included a cracking performance from Sam Powell has turned into a

"Well, he might have played ok but he's still rubbish" thread.

The amount of energy he puts into defending must have an effect on how creative he can be and so far this season, we are doing quite well as we are.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:10 am I have watched and played this game all my life. I have an opinion on the player who touches the ball most in a team I spend a fortune on every year. I am not a qualified coach, but I have seen and played with enough players to have an opinion based on decades of “experience”. It is patronising and short sighted of those who turn on their fellow supporters - either because they are insiders or because they love him so much they will scour the internet for any stat to justify his continued place in the side - to suggest that his critics are the problem. It is not just sad but disturbing that people consider it right to lecture me and my fellow critics. While not “in the know”, our money pays his wages the same as anyone else’s.

So, Morley loves him. Well done Morley. You have won the war - he will play every game he is fit to play, regardless of what he does, and he will get his long term contract. Nothing that we see, say or do will make a difference. Which is galling, especially when we watch entertaining hookers every week play opposite us> Tbh, I would have more time for his long term love in crew if they simply posted - “ha, you loser posters! He’s here every week for the next 10 years, a great club man and member of the leadership group - get used to it! Oh, and you are inferior “supporters” to me!”
We're all entitled to our opinion about any player. The fact that two Wigan supporters have different opinions is normal and healthy. Your attempt at ridicule could offend me, but I've had worse (better?) and survived.

One bit you ignored was my attempt to make clear that I don't actually rate Powell as a top SL hooker, but defend him against some of the more extreme and/or ridiculous attacks on here.

But I do not take issue with anyone who thinks any player is no good. My objection is to the persistent, repetitive, boring, repeated, persistent, boring and repetitive attacks from some posters.

And the fact that it continues even when the majority of fans are over the moon with our performances - ie there are better things to talk about - makes me sad.

By the way, the number of posts complaining about Sam says more about the posters - "he who shouts loudest isn't always right".
so the bit in bold confuses me as it does with everyone who makes this point.

Wigan play every week during the season - most weeks Sam Powell will play - as we dont live in an infinite time loop every game will be a new game. So if (hypothetically) he performed poor every single game, how many games are we allowed to comment on before we arent allowed to comment anymore because that seems to be what people are suggesting. So if a player is slow for example and that slowness becomes evident in every match how many games are we allow to comment on that players speed? 1-2-3 games?

likewise if i say hes had a good game i assume thats unlimited i can say that as many times as i want without anybody saying im "attacking" him.

Does someone need to keep count of each poster allocation of critical comments? does this apply to every player or just Powell
Who said you couldn't comment? I'm just commenting on your comments. Equal rights for both/all.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:51 pm I think we should change the title of this topic from “Wigan v Leeds” to “Let’s all bash Sam Powell Again & Again”)!!
But then all topics would have the same name :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Sorry to be the bearer of good news but no citings at all from the Hull Match. Well done to the players and the coaching staff.
Gale got a three-match ban.

Fages and Levi out for Huddersfield against us.
Last edited by Southern Softy on Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree leave Sam Powell alone he's doing alright this season.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Jeez there's some dishonest arguments being made here. :roll:

And NO rugby league player, not even Rangi Chase or Jonny Lomax, deserves to be compared with Boris Johnson!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We could start a separate thread for Powell comments - that would work for me. It could be called something like “What will happen before Powell is replaced” and we could include eg Andy Burnham becoming Prime Minister (even an exile can dream), Everton winning the Premier League, fizz bombs make a comeback etc...

Most importantly, I really enjoyed the game from pretty much the moment that Field gave the winger the outside so he could scythe him down. It was a wonderful performance, which I have re-watched a couple of times already. In Field, Cust, KPP, Mago and a revitalised Bateman we have created an excitement machine. Peat is so far ahead of schedule it is ridiculous. I was also thrilled by the size of the crowd, and the level of enthusiasm. The number of lapsed fans I know who are suddenly interested to see Field in action is everything I hoped for.

I had a number of hopes going into the new season:
- Field would have fully recovered;
- Peat would step up and put his mark on the team;
- Peetball would be entertaining and not Son of Waneball;
- that people would turn up in numbers and be enthused about the club again; and
- French would come back, and come back fit and focussed.

So, 4 out of 5 hopes already sorted, and, who knows the last one could soon come true.

I do, now, have a new worry, and that is that we can exercise an option to keep Field for another year.

So far, so very very good.
Welski

Post by Welski »

Total non-sequitur: Apologies if already discussed but did anyone else think it was a trip on Bibby when Field played on to score?
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

So KPP turned 21 over the weekend - the kid is an amazing prospect. He seems to grow physically every match and is learning to use his strength.

Also, Byrne had a cracker, ran his size and threw a couple of crisp passes to wrongfoot the Leeds defence.

Some issues with discipline but I reckon our first 6 again was around 30 minutes (and all after were on 1st tackle) and first offside was 47 minutes - surely Leeds had been offside before then?

That said, we did get some big calls go our way (and from Thaler no less).

So, exciting so far - Field is next level at the moment.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:36 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 am
Barney841 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 am

Well said. Because we look a better team or at least players around Powell make him look better. It doesn’t make him exempt from his lack of ability or criticism he recieves. People also need to remember as well we are criticising him of as a rugby player, it’s not a personal attack about his person
The point is its all one way though.

Vs KR he was scooting (I was shocked to) and Vs leeds he scored 2 tries the first one he saw the gap called for it and got the try.

However the same tired theme appears after the leeds Match because he made a couple of errors.
I don’t think it’s just that when you play someone with a good hooker(LEEMING) you just think why can’t we have a hooker like that?
And it had been a long time since we’ve had that with the persistence of powell. I just hope they give this O’Neil a good run out
What did leeming do?

If powells so bad why don't the coaches pick tommy or O'Neil instead - those are their options.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐