Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan squad for Salford

Post by morley pie eater »

Serious question:

If Sam has spent all these years not running from dummy half, and now he is doing, is that because of him or the coaches he has played under?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

he ran under Lam in year 2
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:04 am No mention of Sam Powell on here suggests he must have had a decent game!

Radio Manchester commentators picked him out a number of times, and he got a mention in despatches from Matty Peet.

Now wait for the response . . .

🤫🤫🤫
Sam had a very good game as did a number of others. Powell, Byrne and Bateman probably had their best game of the season. I think Byrne would be better advised to lower his body, he is to upright, when going into contact. That’s not a criticism by the way but just my view on how he can improve. On thing we are still lacking is vision from our half backs and that is not something you can coach. They are both honest grafters but we may need more to win the big prizes. Brodie Croft has it in spades and I would certainly be looking to see if we can snare him next season.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:51 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:04 am No mention of Sam Powell on here suggests he must have had a decent game!

Radio Manchester commentators picked him out a number of times, and he got a mention in despatches from Matty Peet.

🤫🤫🤫
Sam had a very good game as did a number of others. Powell, Byrne and Bateman probably had their best game of the season. I think Byrne would be better advised to lower his body, he is to upright, when going into contact. That’s not a criticism by the way but just my view on how he can improve. On thing we are still lacking is vision from our half backs and that is not something you can coach. They are both honest grafters but we may need more to win the big prizes. Brodie Croft has it in spades and I would certainly be looking to see if we can snare him next season.
Thought Tommy was a bit more than a honest grafter last night. Think it's the best game I've seen him play, both in defence and attack, in ages.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jobo wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:50 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:51 pm

🤫🤫🤫
Thought Tommy was a bit more than a honest grafter last night. Think it's the best game I've seen him play, both in defence and attack, in ages.
He was awesome in defence and I agree he had a good game, he just doesn’t have the vision required to take us to the next level.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 am
Barney841 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:52 am
Firestarter wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:07 am

He was my mom morley
Played really well. He finally did some running from dummy half and was dangerous.
God knows why he doesn’t do it more often, he put Salford on the back foot a few times
His raids from dummy half coupled with his workrate show how effective he could and should be. Reminiscent of 2020. I'm not sure why he doesn't do it more often. It's clearly in his armoury. I hope that's just a taste of things to come from him this season. Alongside Bateman, the best player on the field yesterday.
Reminiscent of 2020, He's only been in the first team since 2012 and the best we can come up with is 2020, says it all really doesn't it
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:31 pm
Barney841 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:52 am

Played really well. He finally did some running from dummy half and was dangerous.
God knows why he doesn’t do it more often, he put Salford on the back foot a few times
His raids from dummy half coupled with his workrate show how effective he could and should be. Reminiscent of 2020. I'm not sure why he doesn't do it more often. It's clearly in his armoury. I hope that's just a taste of things to come from him this season. Alongside Bateman, the best player on the field yesterday.
Reminiscent of 2020, He's only been in the first team since 2012 and the best we can come up with is 2020, says it all really doesn't it
I guess it does Meds. Not sure why when he's clearly capable of it. He was very good last night but it comes on the back of a couple of games where he's been anonymous, at least as far as any attacking play goes. We need more like last night from him.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Flash wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:28 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:31 pm

I guess it does Meds. Not sure why when he's clearly capable of it. He was very good last night but it comes on the back of a couple of games where he's been anonymous, at least as far as any attacking play goes. We need more like last night from him.
I wouldnt shout out for a new hooker if Powell does more running from dummy half like he did last night
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Why are some fans calling for a dummy half who runs? It's the most one dimensional form of rugby.
The best hooker I've ever seen is Cameron Smith and he very rarely ran from dummy half but his ability to find the right pass at the right time and his kicking game from dummy half put him a class above the rest.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

No straw damn us wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:39 pm Why are some fans calling for a dummy half who runs? It's the most one dimensional form of rugby.
The best hooker I've ever seen is Cameron Smith and he very rarely ran from dummy half but his ability to find the right pass at the right time and his kicking game from dummy half put him a class above the rest.
It helps the team get momentum from time to time if the player does run from dummy half, powell has never really done it.
Also I would put roby as one of the best hookers to play the game he ran from dummy half, so is he one dimensional?