14 Team Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: 14 Team Super League

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:41 pm Fourteen teams would be best. Twenty six regular games, thirteen home and thirteen away plus Magic.
Leigh and Featherstone are both right. Both sustainable clubs with decent home crowd and can be relied upon for a good away following.
Straight forward fixtures playing every other club twice, no loop matches thankfully just the Magic weekend.
Fourteen teams every time.
That is exactly my view 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd put Toronto and New York in. Get rid of loop fixtures.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

14 teams makes sense, home n away plus magic would be a good option

That said, too many only want to travel along the M62/A580

Are we happy with a northwest/yorkshire SL comp, plus the odd foreign team?

Been trying long enough with just Northern rugby, question is, is there enough money in the game to have the 14 team league, including the french teams? or even a SL team from Cumbria
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Can we swap Leigh for another team, they've had several shots at SL and failed every time, Bring back Halifax
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:43 pm Can we swap Leigh for another team, they've had several shots at SL and failed every time, Bring back Halifax
let them do it properly, Catalans and Hudds were given exemptions and allowed to build, they have done a good job, you cant do it now as again by the time they get promoted all the good players have gone, need a good 12 months notice
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whilst I really hate the loop fixtures, my concern with 14 teams is the level of competition and spreading the finances too thin across more teams.

If 14 teams is the route, I think they need to go back down the licensing route as that’s surely the best way to avoid 4 teams at the bottom just getting battered most weeks.

Teams rarely stay up who get promoted. That tells you a few things. So what good is bringing more up going to do?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:55 am Whilst I really hate the loop fixtures, my concern with 14 teams is the level of competition and spreading the finances too thin across more teams.

If 14 teams is the route, I think they need to go back down the licensing route as that’s surely the best way to avoid 4 teams at the bottom just getting battered most weeks.

Teams rarely stay up who get promoted. That tells you a few things. So what good is bringing more up going to do?
thats the biggest hurdle, getting the current chairmen to accept a smaller slice of the financial pie. Derek Beaumont cried all last year about not getting the full TV money, even though they never won promotion. We will either need a big new TV deal or all clubs to accept a smaller revenue with the challenge of actually doing some marketing and bringing in their own revenue streams. For far too long the perception has been that the TV money paid the salary cap, but some clubs dont pay up to the full cap, so have been lazy with other aspects of managing their clubs
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Current problems are:
1. Money is tight.
2. Not enough quality players.

If the answer is 14 teams (proposed by the 2 teams who would come up - oh! and with no relegation!!!!) then we forget the "Maurice Lindsay was a visionary" stuff and go back to pre-Super League and semi-professional clubs.

The real answer is a 10-team league with every team required to have a proven high quality Academy system. Best of all with 2 French teams to widen the net for player supply beyond South Sea Islanders.

Imagine 10 academies of Wigan/Saints/Leeds standard! Once that happens, we can consider expanding to 12, and maybe eventually 14.

[Btw, the Championship would become a much better feeder league, and better in its own right, if it had the 10 next best teams . . . Wakey, Salford, Fev, Leigh, York, Halifax, Batley, London, Bradford, Widnes for example.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:43 pm Can we swap Leigh for another team, they've had several shots at SL and failed every time, Bring back Halifax
I agree meds…… no miners or easts lads coming through at leigh which pi@@ es a lot of leythers off
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:22 am
I agree meds…… no miners or easts lads coming through at leigh which pi@@ es a lot of leythers off
how can they when they dont have an academy?