Mike Cooper

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Mike Cooper

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Dreamteam wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:11 pm There's absolutely no logic to signing a 34 year old prop unless its a freebie or he's on a low salary. If Cooper is the answer, what's the question?

Why would we sign Cooper to bring on our youth? Absolute madness!
The fact that we’ll take cooper for a maximum of 2 years and get rid of partington says more about partington than anything else. People need to stop kidding themselves, not all the players who come through the system will make it. He’s not good enough
I disagree, I think he is good enough, at 23, his only flaws are he needs to only slightly water down his aggression and gain more weight. Both are more than achievable and furthermore as years go by, we'll reap the benefits. Partington isn't weak, he gives 100% week in week out. What's apparent at the moment is that we have players ahead of him. As I've said though, others moan that Mago is too big and unfit. I'm not opposed to bringing in fresh blood (especially if we loose a couple), just not convinced Cooper is the most inspired signing.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Catalan sign some beast from the Roosters and we get 33 year old Mike Cooper? Wow
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

We don’t have a free quota spot as it stands and there isn’t much knocking around in SL. Every club needs Props atm
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:01 am
Dreamteam wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:11 pm There's absolutely no logic to signing a 34 year old prop unless its a freebie or he's on a low salary. If Cooper is the answer, what's the question?

Why would we sign Cooper to bring on our youth? Absolute madness!
The fact that we’ll take cooper for a maximum of 2 years and get rid of partington says more about partington than anything else. People need to stop kidding themselves, not all the players who come through the system will make it. He’s not good enough
I disagree, I think he is good enough, at 23, his only flaws are he needs to only slightly water down his aggression and gain more weight. Both are more than achievable and furthermore as years go by, we'll reap the benefits. Partington isn't weak, he gives 100% week in week out. What's apparent at the moment is that we have players ahead of him. As I've said though, others moan that Mago is too big and unfit. I'm not opposed to bringing in fresh blood (especially if we loose a couple), just not convinced Cooper is the most inspired signing.
He’s been around the first team for 4 years, still don’t know his best position he’s lucky to make 40 meters a game and he’s a penalty machine. Giving 100% is enough to make it at Salford but at Wigan it isn’t.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't think there are many teams that have won the Grand Final without having a couple of senior props in their early to mid-30's. Just because a prop is getting on a bit doesn't mean they are past it and have nothing to offer. Just look at what Chris Hill has added to the Huddersfield pack so far this year and he's a year older. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook is 36 and still performing well enough for Saints.

I think what we've seen this season is that we've definitely strengthened our front row but it's still not quite there yet. Improvements are still needed but recruiting props is difficult. If someone like Cooper is available then I think it makes sense for the club to be interested. A one year deal with the option of a 2nd would give us an experienced prop to bring more competition to the middles.

Partington potentially leaving isn't that surprising. He doesn't look to have the size to be a prop forward so is best used at 13 alongside a couple of big props but we've got Smithies at 13, Shorrocks whose best position is 13, Nicholson making good progress, Bateman who could end up at 13 if one of our young second rowers can force their way into contention, along with other hard working props who could play 13 like Havard or Ellis. I'm not sure he necessarily fits into the side. And as far as props go you only have to look at the likes of Jack Bibby and Toby Brannan for two more players who could force their way into contention in the next couple of years.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Age is just a number I can't say I'm a big fan of Cooper but he's big,broad and according to Mathew Shaw doesn't seem to see eye to eye with laughing boy Powell so he will do for me.

As for Partington he does give way to many penalties away and came through with a group of pplayers who are much of a muchness as my old mum used to say,time to mix it up a bit.
Suzieb

Mike cooper

Post by Suzieb »

Anyone heard that he’s coming to us and partington to wire
josie andrews

Re: Mike cooper

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:44 pm Anyone heard that he’s coming to us and partington to wire
I’m sorry, but do you not look at posts on these forums before posting?

There are already several threads already covering this topic!!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41584

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41604

Both these threads are in the Rumour Mill pages.

But just for you see the next post!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Mike cooper

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors win race to sign Warrington Wolves' Mike Cooper

Cooper has agreed to join Wigan Warriors when his contract at the Halliwell Jones Stadium expires

Wigan Warriors have landed Warrington Wolves prop Mike Cooper for the 2023 season. The England international has put pen to paper on a deal with the Challenge Cup winners for next year, bringing an end to a 14-year career with the Wire over two spells.

The 33-year-old is off-contract at the end of the year and is believed to have committed to the Warriors after a decision was made that his time at the Halliwell Jones Stadium was coming to an end. It's understood that Cooper and new head coach Daryl Powell have not seen eye-to-eye since starting to work together, which has been a factor in the decision.

With Sam Kasiano, Gil Dudson and Thomas Mikaele all making their way to the club to bolster the Wire pack, Cooper's time at the come has come to a natural conclusion. He is understood to have held talks with Salford Red Devils before agreeing to sign for Matt Peet's side.

The deal marks Wigan's first venture into the transfer market ahead of 2023. Further deals are likely with cap space free. Zak Hardaker has already departed and has not been replaced while Jake Bibby is heading to Huddersfield Giants.

Liam Farrell and Sam Powell are both expected to re-sign but beyond that, Bevan French, Tommy Leuluai and James McDonnell are off-contract, as is Ethan Havard though the club have an option to extend his deal by a year.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... n-24113451
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan