Mr Milward

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
superleague

Re: Mr Milward

Post by superleague »

after watching the highlights the game should of been cancelled it was more like an ice skating ring than a rugby pitch.
emma warriors simply the best

Post by emma warriors simply the best »

welcome to summer rugby! The match should have been cancelled but we cant use that as an excuse we played awfull and the conditions wernt to blame all the time
LOYAL
WARRIOR

PHIL BAILEY: "I am totally thrilled to be joining the Wigan Warriors. Everyone believes in the club and I can’t wait to join Wigan for 2007".

Iafeta Paleaaesina:"Our fans support over recent years has been astonishing. They are the backbone of the Club and we are truly grateful for the way they get behind us".

!!!WARRIORS 4 LIFE!!!

Born a WARRIOR!
Live a WARRIOR!
Die a WARRIOR!

we can build this dream together
standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now

Proud to be a wiganer!!!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

jinkin jimmy posted:
MrsLam posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
Don't panic. I just saw the highlights and I am not as worried as I was yesterday. The conditions were very bad and would certainly have nullified any advantage we had on paper.

However, we are certainly not playing for each other as a team should. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of digging deep for your team mates. Until they start to do this for each other we will only have a set of players as opposed to a team.
The conditions were bad for both teams, Salford didn't have a problem winning the game.
So you think that teams of varying quality are equally affected by a deterioration in conditions? :conf:
I just don't see how we can use weather as an excuse. Wigan are supposed to be better than Salford so even in bad conditions we should have at lesat given them a game. We knew the conditions before we got there, it's not like it just started snowing for an hour before the game and we'd be hidden in a dark room and shocked by the outrageous conditions when we got out there. I think we should just own up to the fact that we didn't perform on Friday night and it wasn't good enough.

And Rob, that doesn't change what Millward is doing. Things weren't that wrong at Wigan. Going off what people on here say, the only thing that is wrong is Mo (let's not get into that one again) Think about the last few seasons, infact think about superleague since it started, were we ever beaten 75-0 and 70-0 in consecutive weeks? Did we finish out of the top 6? Were there ever such bad performances - not unlucky just plain awful - week after week? Did we ever lose 3 of our 4 opening games?

Think the answer to all of those questions is no. Things can't have been so bad that they needed changing. Right now, Millward wants all the credit but his plans haven't resulted in any good as of yet. If he wants credit for good, he should be ready to take the blame for the bad.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
it's not like it just started snowing for an hour before the game
Wasn't much more than an hour in Salford! We didn't get the snow down here for a while after you lot in Wigan.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

I just don't see how we can use weather as an excuse.
I didn't say that MrsL. I said after having seen the playing conditions I am not as worried as before. I think it would be much more of a concern if that result happened on a balmy summer evening in perfect conditions.

As I posted elsewhere before the game, I was always worried about us playing them in cold weather since I had personally heard some of our antipodeans whingeing about how cold it was over here. Hopefully, this below par performance is down to the conditions in that some of our players weren't as up for it as their Salford opposition.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Fraggle posted:
MrsLam posted:
it's not like it just started snowing for an hour before the game
Wasn't much more than an hour in Salford! We didn't get the snow down here for a while after you lot in Wigan.
Are you sure it came over from yorkshire :sly:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
wigan rugby

Post by wigan rugby »

noooooooooo dunt sak millward it iz the first season for us give im a bluddy chance
"We got the best club in all of the world
we got Barrett and Kenny
Edwards and Hanley
Boston and Kevin Irooooooooo
oooooooo ooooooooo ooooooooo"

Watch My Wigan Warriors Video On Youtube And Please Leave A Comment
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFqmejJ0_8

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
We have to be realistic with what Millward is working with.He has inherited a situation at Wigan that is going to take some sorting out.He is basically having to start from the bottom up, employing back room in dedicated roles, convincing the chairman hes the one to do the buying and seeling, working with inherited players and merging them with new additions to the squad.
Err.. no he is not inherited a situation. He has six new players all of whom he apparently approves of and he persuaded Mo to let him sign Higham and get rid of Newton.

A significant part of this team is his. I also don't recall him complaining about the team he inherited from Hanley at Saints.

Coaches can't expect to walk into a team and have their own men in all positions. They know as well as anyone else contracts have to be honoured and a good coach will get the best out of his players whether he signed them or he didn't.

Millward hasn't got the best out of the existing or the new players so far so basically he has screwed up.

If he can't or won't get players he didn't sign playing well then he isn't much of a coach.
IMO The whole professionlism of the club is having to be reinvented, we had it when we had John Monie looked like we where getting back on an even keel under Mike Gregory but the coaches in between just didnt have what it takes to run a club like Wigan.Millward has the balls the ego and the knowledge to turn Wigan around but it aint gonna happen overnight, like the old saying there anit no pain without gain. Give Millward time and dont expect miracles.
I am not expecting miracles I am expecting him to earn his money, do his job and coach the squad he has got to its potential.

He isn't doing it at the moment and I am sick of hearing this call of we need more time and in a couple of years we will be strong etc.

It is ridiculous to write another season off because our new coach hasn't recruited the entire team which is what the calls to give him time seem to amount to.

The squad is good enough to have won at least three of the four games so far and IMO a big reason it has not is down to Millwards pointless (no pun intended) tinkering.

He needs to stop trying to prove how clever he is and get the squad doing the basics right, playing as a team and showing some commitment especially in the second half of games.

He could start with the defence!

Dave
superleague

Post by superleague »

totally agree dave.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
We have to be realistic with what Millward is working with.He has inherited a situation at Wigan that is going to take some sorting out.He is basically having to start from the bottom up, employing back room in dedicated roles, convincing the chairman hes the one to do the buying and seeling, working with inherited players and merging them with new additions to the squad.
Err.. no he is not inherited a situation. He has six new players all of whom he apparently approves of and he persuaded Mo to let him sign Higham and get rid of Newton.

A significant part of this team is his. I also don't recall him complaining about the team he inherited from Hanley at Saints.
Coaches can't expect to walk into a team and have their own men in all positions. They know as well as anyone else contracts have to be honoured and a good coach will get the best out of his players whether he signed them or he didn't.

Millward hasn't got the best out of the existing or the new players so far so basically he has screwed up.

If he can't or won't get players he didn't sign playing well then he isn't much of a coach.
IMO The whole professionlism of the club is having to be reinvented, we had it when we had John Monie looked like we where getting back on an even keel under Mike Gregory but the coaches in between just didnt have what it takes to run a club like Wigan.Millward has the balls the ego and the knowledge to turn Wigan around but it aint gonna happen overnight, like the old saying there anit no pain without gain. Give Millward time and dont expect miracles.
I am not expecting miracles I am expecting him to earn his money, do his job and coach the squad he has got to its potential.

He isn't doing it at the moment and I am sick of hearing this call of we need more time and in a couple of years we will be strong etc.

It is ridiculous to write another season off because our new coach hasn't recruited the entire team which is what the calls to give him time seem to amount to.

The squad is good enough to have won at least three of the four games so far and IMO a big reason it has not is down to Millwards pointless (no pun intended) tinkering.

He needs to stop trying to prove how clever he is and get the squad doing the basics right, playing as a team and showing some commitment especially in the second half of games.

He could start with the defence!

Dave
Would that be the one that won the GF Dave? :wink:
When has Basil ever said this?

It wasn't Millward that dropped the ball twice when over the line against Catalan.
In your opinion.
The squad is good enough to have won at least three of the four games so far and IMO a big reason it has not is down to Millwards pointless (no pun intended) tinkering
I disagree. We lost against Catalan for reasons shown above. We lost against Leeds due to poor defence/running out of gas, not tinkering. That accusation can surely only be laid for the Salford game, which was played in arctic conditions, always guaranteed to be a leveller.

All in all, I'm not panicking until after Friday!![/b]