IS THIS RIGHT?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: IS THIS RIGHT?

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:22 pm O come on its obvious the job description gives it away with the weekend and night hours. At a wim . I will put my life on it being them hours I wonder why. Please don't try to dress this up as something its not and doesn't say anything about leading to full time position. Your looking to justify a wrong because its wigan. It's wrong and you know it.
I’m not trying to justify anything! Temporary part time jobs do sometimes lead to a permanent role in any company.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Post by bertina »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:22 pm O come on its obvious the job description gives it away with the weekend and night hours. At a wim . I will put my life on it being them hours I wonder why. Please don't try to dress this up as something its not and doesn't say anything about leading to full time position. Your looking to justify a wrong because its wigan. It's wrong and you know it.
Absolutely agree. It stinks.!!!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

mickali1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 pm Nobody is being forced to take the job. Just saying.
Your wrong on so many levels. Do you realise how many desperate people with families there are who struggle. Jobs like this exploits and targets them. Makes my blood boil. This is 2022 for chrxst's sake.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

mickali1 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:11 pm Nobody is being forced to take the job. Just saying.
Some people are forced to take jobs like this as they need the money. This is really disgraceful by the club. The hours you would be doing are the worst hours possible including being called in to work on short notice and then a zero hour contract on top of that. I would like to see top employees of Wigan on zero hour contracts, no they wouldn't like it!
Shame on them

Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Why isn’t this job just advertised as a set amount of hours? Surely it’s easier for a manager to keep track when you know your staff will be in at a certain time on a regular rota? This stinks of exploiting working people.

Zero hour contracts are a thing (not that I agree with them and I hope they are outlawed soon). But it’s disheartening to see our club endorsing zero hour contracts. Absolutely terrible for people’s mental health not knowing how much income they will get from week to week.
I hope those in charge read this website and see sense. It’s not a good look for the club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I do agree that the contract isn’t very good for someone 🙁
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm I have strong feelings against the gig economy and zero-hour contracts - exploitation by another name.
However it could be the wording here that creates guilt by association. As Caboose asks - could it be just an unfortunate way of describing a casual job?
I agree we are so afraid of words now,call it what it is if its a casual job let's everyone know where they are
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:49 am
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm I have strong feelings against the gig economy and zero-hour contracts - exploitation by another name.
However it could be the wording here that creates guilt by association. As Caboose asks - could it be just an unfortunate way of describing a casual job?
I agree we are so afraid of words now,call it what it is if its a casual job let's everyone know where they are
Exactly this! The PC brigade go far too far! You can’t call a spade a spade these days!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:01 am
Exactly this! The PC brigade go far too far! You can’t call a spade a spade these days!
It really irritates me the term "zero hours contract" it's an utterly meaningless term,whoever came up with it needs horse whipping.

Rant over 😀
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:18 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:01 am

It really irritates me the term "zero hours contract" it's an utterly meaningless term,whoever came up with it needs horse whipping.

Rant over 😀
No more so than the people that exploit this practice.

And for the record this keyboard warrior. Does call a spade a spade. Even to the point of checking the advertisement personally. And everything it says in advert is what the position holds. They can even send you home when you are there if they find they don't need you. And your trying to justify this with playing with wording change. Zero hours is exactly what it says regardless of how you word it. And the sooner it becomes illegal to use this the better. Rant over for this keyboard warrior I have morals and make no apologies for that. Last for me on subject.