Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thegimble

Re: Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Post by thegimble »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:57 pm There is literally no reason to rush Bevan into making a decision. We benefit nothing from doing so.
So who do we replace him with if he says ar the end if season he is off. We can not just get a replacement and bo one player will wait for him to go with the chance of signing for us. French needs to maje a decision very soon. Or we need to call his bluff and sign an adequate replacements
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

wgwr1999 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:57 pm There is literally no reason to rush Bevan into making a decision. We benefit nothing from doing so.
Of course there is I've no issue with what he decides but as I've said the nettle.needs to be grasped so the club can move on with him hopefully or if not find a replacement,the club seem to have bent over backwards with him,right to do so as he's a rare talent but at some point enough is enough.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

thegimble wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:49 pm
So who do we replace him with if he says ar the end if season he is off. We can not just get a replacement and bo one player will wait for him to go with the chance of signing for us. French needs to maje a decision very soon. Or we need to call his bluff and sign an adequate replacements
For these arguments, the assumption is that we *will* replace Bevan. But I believe the those in the know have stated that we won't be looking to replace him directly next season. In that scenario he could decide the day before pre-season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Mike, I take your point and you could be right about us not replacing Bevan directly. However, if we've earmarked the second wedge of marquee money for Bevan it wouldn't be available to sign another 'star' player until Bevan has made his decision. In this situation, his prevarication could result in us missing out on a top player.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think the we're not going to bring anyone extra in for next year (with Bevan's money), and just have the money available for future recruitment - at least that was the gist I was getting from other people's posts. i.e. the club is relaxed at the decision that Bevan takes and its timing because it doesn't affect what they are going to do next season.

WIgan have a recent history of making reactive signings - taking quality players that become unexpectedly available - and of taking quality players from other clubs at the end of contracts. So maybe having a warchest and cap space helps them grab the next Bevan French who pops up mid-season?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Probably Marshall and Miski as starting wingers with Hallsall as backup centre /wing?

We lose lots of pace and off the cuff brilliance I asse that's the thinking as we couldn't sign another winger now just in case Bevan doesn't sign.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Big Steve wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:10 pm Probably Marshall and Miski as starting wingers with Hallsall as backup centre /wing?

We lose lots of pace and off the cuff brilliance I asse that's the thinking as we couldn't sign another winger now just in case Bevan doesn't sign.
There is nothing on this planet that Miski does better than Halsall. Except take up quota space.
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:35 am
Wigan Watcher wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 am I believe we are not interest in King.
heard the same, we were however interested before he renewed at Warrington
This is the problem with these little non committal comments ie not naming Wardle but just hanging pure speculation out there.

Other deals are going on in the background like the King deal for example.

Rumours sweep through the town and rugby league community very quickly by just throwing out leading statements it can affect other players and the clubs ability to negotiate with players who are on their radar particularly if they are on contract.

It may seem inconsequential but like Chinese whispers these “in the know” comments without actually naming people involved but that are taken as gospel by others and quickly become fact can cause real issues.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Jonh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:40 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:32 am I believe we are not interest in King.
This is the problem with these little non committal comments ie not naming Wardle but just hanging pure speculation out there.

Other deals are going on in the background like the King deal for example.

Rumours sweep through the town and rugby league community very quickly by just throwing out leading statements it can affect other players and the clubs ability to negotiate with players who are on their radar particularly if they are on contract.

It may seem inconsequential but like Chinese whispers these “in the know” comments without actually naming people involved but that are taken as gospel by others and quickly become fact can cause real issues.
Ill just not post in future if I cant name the player then, just thought letting fans know we were active and had signed a player, then hinting very clearly to who the player is would get a bit of excitement going and to let fans know the club were active recruitment wise.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Peets just confirmed this