Match Preview: Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dreamteam

Re: Undercooked

Post by Dreamteam »

Mike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:57 am
Dreamteam wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm We do not have the team to win the league ( finish first ). Every year we drop points to poor teams away in Yorkshire. Leeds wakey hull ect. Saints will not lose more than a handful of games in a year. When u have a pack that’s in a arm wrestle every week it’s impossible to be near perfect over a full season. Until the club invest in world class props we will not see a LLS for years
They lost 6 last year. One more than a handful.
That’s the most they lost since 2017. Wigan will simply lose more. Also includes the game they played vs cas where they played the academy as well
Pieman13

Re: Match Preview: Hull KR

Post by Pieman13 »

Still think we can have a solid season, but I do worry about that right side KPP & King need to improve there positioning and defence very quickly.

Having said that we do have to many average/poor players in are squad: Powell, Singleton, Ellis, Mago, Isa, Shorrocks, King, Minski all need to be let go.

Other than French, Field & Wardle ‘our’ recruitment been bad for awhile. Way to much loyalty shown to the likes of Powell and past players like T.Clubb.

Also I do feel even though I love French & Field it may of been smarter not extending one of there contracts and using there cap for more important areas instead of a winger.

Field
French ----- Wardle Marshall
Smith ------
Cooper ------ ------
----- Farrell
Smithes

Byrne, Havard, - - - -, - - - - -

From the starting 17 that's all I'd keep for next year, discounting the younger lads in the squad.

With Cust contract expiring this year I'd take our chances and replace him with someone hopefully better. Still think he'd be better suited at 9 for me. Need a proper half next to Smith, Brodie Croft would of been great :roll:

I'd give Cooper another year think he'll go well for us, but he needs a big meter maker prop along side him ala P. Vaughan,Walmsley etc. I do think Byrne could be that prop but think he's a couple years off that yet and really should be a bench prop with Havard at this stage like Matty Lees & L.Thompson where for Saints when Amor & Walmsley started for them years ago.

Really don't see King being good enough defensively and wouldn't surprise me if Thornley replaces him when he's fit. He did take the piss out of him last season tbf at Warrington. Thankfully it's only a loan move. Need big/tall defensive centre next to French.

Need to replace Bateman & KPP with 2 quality second rowers and replace someone with Isa, either a youngster or a project player.

So yeah alot of changes are needed.

Priorities for me:-
2 Mid season signings: quality Prop & Second rower, with Mago & Miski let go somehow. (Make do with O'Neil at 9 and Thornley/King at centre)

2024: Sign new 4, 6 & 9. Plus 2 second rowers, one first teamer & one back up.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dreamteam wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:27 am
Dreamteam wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:16 pm We do not have the team to win the league ( finish first ). Every year we drop points to poor teams away in Yorkshire. Leeds wakey hull ect. Saints will not lose more than a handful of games in a year. When u have a pack that’s in a arm wrestle every week it’s impossible to be near perfect over a full season. Until the club invest in world class props we will not see a LLS for years
That’s the most they lost since 2017. Wigan will simply lose more. Also includes the game they played vs cas where they played the academy as well
So they're weaker than at anytime since 2017 and were stronger than last year (when we beat them up) so we've got a good chance.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me I can accept losing the first game - I can accept the team being rusty

But we looked like we couldn’t be bothered and that was the things that most annoyed me

I think we will be out the trophies this year - think wire and saints will clear up personally
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think rather than have weekly chats about their emotions and how they are feeling, they should concentrate on playing rugby for 80 mins.

New season, same rubbish.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

:P
Mike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:13 pm

So they're weaker than at anytime since 2017 and were stronger than last year (when we beat them up) so we've got a good chance.

Just beaten the best dynasty in the modern era on their own patch, we lose to hull kr a few hours later mate 😂😂. We aren’t close to saints over a full season at all.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

[quote=Dreamteam post_id=523785 time=1676934714 user_id=21515]

Just beaten the best dynasty in the modern era on their own patch, we lose to hull kr a few hours later mate 😂😂. We aren’t close to saints over a full season at all.
[/quote]

so a side that has won 2 GF in 20 odd years is all of a sudden the best side in modern history

yes, they are a good side, but arent most NRL sides.

to blow it up that they are the best in an era is a bit much

Now, you could apply that to this current Saints team as they are setting the standards in SL and are the team to beat. Are they the most attractive team to watch, no, but they have a winning formula where they dominate defensively / intensity of play, and most teams cant match them for that. As we showed last year and as Mike alludes to, we can beat them and on paper have a better balanced squad than we did last year, so why cant we push them closer
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Pieman13 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:09 pm Still think we can have a solid season, but I do worry about that right side KPP & King need to improve there positioning and defence very quickly.

Having said that we do have to many average/poor players in are squad: Powell, Singleton, Ellis, Mago, Isa, Shorrocks, King, Minski all need to be let go.

Other than French, Field & Wardle ‘our’ recruitment been bad for awhile. Way to much loyalty shown to the likes of Powell and past players like T.Clubb.

Also I do feel even though I love French & Field it may of been smarter not extending one of there contracts and using there cap for more important areas instead of a winger.

Field
French ----- Wardle Marshall
Smith ------
Cooper ------ ------
----- Farrell
Smithes

Byrne, Havard, - - - -, - - - - -

From the starting 17 that's all I'd keep for next year, discounting the younger lads in the squad.

With Cust contract expiring this year I'd take our chances and replace him with someone hopefully better. Still think he'd be better suited at 9 for me. Need a proper half next to Smith, Brodie Croft would of been great :roll:

I'd give Cooper another year think he'll go well for us, but he needs a big meter maker prop along side him ala P. Vaughan,Walmsley etc. I do think Byrne could be that prop but think he's a couple years off that yet and really should be a bench prop with Havard at this stage like Matty Lees & L.Thompson where for Saints when Amor & Walmsley started for them years ago.

Really don't see King being good enough defensively and wouldn't surprise me if Thornley replaces him when he's fit. He did take the piss out of him last season tbf at Warrington. Thankfully it's only a loan move. Need big/tall defensive centre next to French.

Need to replace Bateman & KPP with 2 quality second rowers and replace someone with Isa, either a youngster or a project player.

So yeah alot of changes are needed.

Priorities for me:-
2 Mid season signings: quality Prop & Second rower, with Mago & Miski let go somehow. (Make do with O'Neil at 9 and Thornley/King at centre)

2024: Sign new 4, 6 & 9. Plus 2 second rowers, one first teamer & one back up.
A lot of work there for Rads. The first issue, defending our right flank is easily solvable. We need to get off our heels and get in the faces of the opposition. HKR made easy yards last week, you would have thought they were playing down a slope. Early contact prevents that, just watch Saints, it is what makes them so successful. It is easier to make a dominant tackle going forward than standing still. It’s not rocket science, wake up the coaching staff.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

the pieman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:59 am [quote=Dreamteam post_id=523785 time=1676934714 user_id=21515]

so a side that has won 2 GF in 20 odd years is all of a sudden the best side in modern history

yes, they are a good side, but arent most NRL sides.

to blow it up that they are the best in an era is a bit much

Now, you could apply that to this current Saints team as they are setting the standards in SL and are the team to beat. Are they the most attractive team to watch, no, but they have a winning formula where they dominate defensively / intensity of play, and most teams cant match them for that. As we showed last year and as Mike alludes to, we can beat them and on paper have a better balanced squad than we did last year, so why cant we push them closer
[/quote]

3 grand finals in 3 years - won 2
2 league titles in 3 years

All while promoting virtually the whole squad through their own system.
The nrl is not like the super league where u can easily win 3-4 grand finals in a row. There’s too many good teams. This Penrith team has already gone down as one of the best teams of all time
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:30 pm For me I can accept losing the first game - I can accept the team being rusty

But we looked like we couldn’t be bothered and that was the things that most annoyed me

I think we will be out the trophies this year - think wire and saints will clear up personally
Blimey, Wire and only after seeing the first match of the season! That's confident.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐