Team for Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Team for Saints

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:39 pm 1st time i've been ont laptop since Friday

i thought we controlled the game well from the 1st minute to the 80th. yes Saints made some breaks, but generally they were poor and looked like they had no idea what to do with the ball in hand

Harry Smith IMO was outstanding, and controlled the game with some fantastic last tackle kicking. In the 2nd half, Makinson must have been proper f***ed off with him, dropping the ball 2m out from the Saints line, and getting hit by the chase (on repeat).

if i was being ultra-critical of the performance it was we didnt attack Saints right side enough. Hurrell must be a nightmare with ball in hand, but equally is a turnstile in defence, and we should have gone there more after we scored that 1st try as i think we may have had more success
All Saints back five are a nightmare with the ball, you only need to look at how many metres they make.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:41 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:39 pm 1st time i've been ont laptop since Friday

i thought we controlled the game well from the 1st minute to the 80th. yes Saints made some breaks, but generally they were poor and looked like they had no idea what to do with the ball in hand

Harry Smith IMO was outstanding, and controlled the game with some fantastic last tackle kicking. In the 2nd half, Makinson must have been proper f***ed off with him, dropping the ball 2m out from the Saints line, and getting hit by the chase (on repeat).

if i was being ultra-critical of the performance it was we didnt attack Saints right side enough. Hurrell must be a nightmare with ball in hand, but equally is a turnstile in defence, and we should have gone there more after we scored that 1st try as i think we may have had more success
All Saints back five are a nightmare with the ball, you only need to look at how many metres they make.
true, i was commenting more about what i saw on Friday to be honest. I thought he was great with ball in hand, but we should have targetted him more in defence. But, as i said that was me being ultra-critical of the performance. Not much else i can say after beating Saints on Good Friday :)
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

just watched the 1st half back on Warriors TV

completely controlled it apart from 1 quick play of the ball leading to the French tackle on Makinson
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:55 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:41 pm

true, i was commenting more about what i saw on Friday to be honest. I thought he was great with ball in hand, but we should have targetted him more in defence. But, as i said that was me being ultra-critical of the performance. Not much else i can say after beating Saints on Good Friday :)
Its a good point that we won without being fluent in attack so we can look forward to improvement, what with 3 half backs injured and 3 or 4 good prospects in the Reserves/Academy :)
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Shorrocks was immense and it’s a romantic story bringing him back from Leigh and him playing out of position but I thought Harry Smith was our man of the match by a street. We needed him to stand up and he did that in spades. His kicking game was outstanding throughout and again, that was much needed because we could not afford to be pinned in our half and let them just focus on closing French off.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Shemtatupu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:34 am
Mike wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:59 am
PJC wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:58 pm Just listening to the commentary on YouTube. It feels as though I m sitting in front of 2 blokes who are constantly shouting down my ear at the game. It could be a darts match.
The commentary belittles the spectacle and play.
I didn't notice that at the time TBH. Seemed fine. Wilkins being forced to get defensive about saints was a highlight IMO. When he gets biased we're doing something right!
I watched it in a pub in Leeds with no commentary, just music. Pure bliss.

I know what's happening anyway so I don't need them telling me the wrong player names etc
Which pub? Where in Leeds?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:08 pm Shorrocks was immense and it’s a romantic story bringing him back from Leigh and him playing out of position but I thought Harry Smith was our man of the match by a street. We needed him to stand up and he did that in spades. His kicking game was outstanding throughout and again, that was much needed because we could not afford to be pinned in our half and let them just focus on closing French off.
2 fantastic defensive efforts in the 2nd half from Shorrocks

considering it was his 1st game at 6 i thought he was fantastic. Nothing flashy with ball in hand but did more than enough

Agree re Harry Smith and said i thought he was MOM
Shemtatupu

Post by Shemtatupu »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:48 pm
Shemtatupu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:34 am
Mike wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:59 am

I didn't notice that at the time TBH. Seemed fine. Wilkins being forced to get defensive about saints was a highlight IMO. When he gets biased we're doing something right!
I watched it in a pub in Leeds with no commentary, just music. Pure bliss.

I know what's happening anyway so I don't need them telling me the wrong player names etc
Which pub? Where in Leeds?
It was in Horsforth so the complete opposite side of the city
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I watched the game back yesterday. Despite a few, forgivable, clunky moments, Shorrocks did a great job, and on top of his defensive heroics, did a fair amount of decent 'half stuff'. :D

But yeah, Smith was terrific. Bevan great again, in fact there wasn't a bad performance across the team.

Big challenge next week, though. Wire look in great form, with a fine win over an admittedly depleted Catalans side.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:42 pm I watched the game back yesterday. Despite a few, forgivable, clunky moments, Shorrocks did a great job, and on top of his defensive heroics, did a fair amount of decent 'half stuff'. :D

But yeah, Smith was terrific. Bevan great again, in fact there wasn't a bad performance across the team.

Big challenge next week, though. Wire look in great form, with a fine win over an admittedly depleted Catalans side.
i've watched it again this morning before work :) :)

i think it was a fantastic effort 1-17, with very few mistakes, but thats what wins game like that on Friday. Clinical when we had chances, and dominated territory. I think one of the commentators gave a stat early in the 2nd half that Saints only made 29, 27 and something line 19m in 3 sets coming off their own line. All down to creating territory, pressure and some great defending as a team.

Add to that some big carries out of our own 20m from King, Wardle, Miski and Marshall, which certainly helped us build pressure

was it the perfect performance, nope, and sure Matty Peet will be looking at that as the benchmark now for the rest of the season

what does disappoint, is that we had a big game v Leigh (almost 10k on), Good Friday and then Wire (looking like sell out), so we've had some intensity in 3 games back to back, then likely to be back down to earth with a game v Wakey. This is where SL falls down completely as that wont generate any excitement for the crowd, pull in fans or be a game of high intensity like the 3 previous