Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Sticky plaster Over A Gaping Wound

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For me views range from the hysterical - those who sound like we are bordering on relegation to blindly optimistic - those who think the club can do no wrong and get ever decision spot on

The answer is obviously somewhere in the middle.

The loss at Wakefield shouldn't really have shocked many, it is correct to say we obviously should be beating them but we always seem to struggle in that fixture, Huddersfield also hold a similar voodoo over us i feel. The problem as i see it is with Rugby League in general not particularly with Wigan when really average performance in not really punished, our recruitment is poor - strategically we rarely recruit to positions we actually need and seem to take a haphazard whoever is available approach. That i feel has changed recently the recruitment of 2 centers, the strengthening of forwards for next year and bringing in a hooker points to a change in tact IMO, not all signings will work out and we shouldn't expect them to, but at least sign to the areas in which you need it.

We clearly need a halfback but i think the coaching team are seeing if there is anyone in the current group who can step up, culture is obviously a big part of our team building and they are probably happy with the characters they have and hoping someone will show the application to take the position. There is a lot of merit in culture as Warrington show year on year.

I think we need to introduce some external coaching for sure but i feel more positive about our recruitment as of late.

Bottom line we could lose 100-0 to Wakefield in the season with them not scoring a point all year and we would still be in the finals come the end of the year either semi or GF - and that's where rugby league lets itself down, all year teams have been up and down. The season is a peloton and only the last 2-3 games actually matter, we inevitably be there just by the standard of our team. The league is crying out for someone to step up Leigh potentially could this year but I expect them to fade like Catalan and I expect the final to be Wigan/Saints/Wire in the final or at least 1 of them.

In football you cant afford to lose games like we do because every league point matters, so you need to build squads that can cope with injuries etc in Rugby you just have to make it to the playoffs so you can manage a squad of less talent as dropping points isnt the end of the world.

No-one this year is particularly strong Saints have lost their edge, Wire are all over the place, Catalan are always likely to fall late into the season and Leigh are riding a crest of a wave that will inevitably crash in the last few games. Happens year on year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Flash wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:28 am
archiekeith wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:05 pm [quote=Flash post_id=532721
Anyway, I'll say no more on the subject. At least until the next time someone objects to having their opinion questioned.
😀 : :lol: :lol: hilarious beyond words The only poster who is having /had his opinions questioned is/was Bob the builder see Morley's post where he asks Bob 3 questions which if left unanswered Bob's opinions are "vague " and more perversely meaningless. Well I'm finished with this ridiculous topic and I'm sorry to have entered this discussion with you💥Flash hope it's just one for the pan!
Johnone

Post by Johnone »

From my own point of view I can only say that over the past couple of seasons no matter what Wigans form is and no matter which team they are playing I am never ever confident that we’ll get the result .
Johnone

Post by Johnone »

But always live in hope.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:12 am For me views range from the hysterical - those who sound like we are bordering on relegation to blindly optimistic - those who think the club can do no wrong and get ever decision spot on

The answer is obviously somewhere in the middle.

The loss at Wakefield shouldn't really have shocked many, it is correct to say we obviously should be beating them but we always seem to struggle in that fixture, Huddersfield also hold a similar voodoo over us i feel. The problem as i see it is with Rugby League in general not particularly with Wigan when really average performance in not really punished, our recruitment is poor - strategically we rarely recruit to positions we actually need and seem to take a haphazard whoever is available approach. That i feel has changed recently the recruitment of 2 centers, the strengthening of forwards for next year and bringing in a hooker points to a change in tact IMO, not all signings will work out and we shouldn't expect them to, but at least sign to the areas in which you need it.

We clearly need a halfback but i think the coaching team are seeing if there is anyone in the current group who can step up, culture is obviously a big part of our team building and they are probably happy with the characters they have and hoping someone will show the application to take the position. There is a lot of merit in culture as Warrington show year on year.

I think we need to introduce some external coaching for sure but i feel more positive about our recruitment as of late.

Bottom line we could lose 100-0 to Wakefield in the season with them not scoring a point all year and we would still be in the finals come the end of the year either semi or GF - and that's where rugby league lets itself down, all year teams have been up and down. The season is a peloton and only the last 2-3 games actually matter, we inevitably be there just by the standard of our team. The league is crying out for someone to step up Leigh potentially could this year but I expect them to fade like Catalan and I expect the final to be Wigan/Saints/Wire in the final or at least 1 of them.

In football you cant afford to lose games like we do because every league point matters, so you need to build squads that can cope with injuries etc in Rugby you just have to make it to the playoffs so you can manage a squad of less talent as dropping points isnt the end of the world.

No-one this year is particularly strong Saints have lost their edge, Wire are all over the place, Catalan are always likely to fall late into the season and Leigh are riding a crest of a wave that will inevitably crash in the last few games. Happens year on year
Great post! Nice to read a balanced and well argued point of view.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it's all his opinion with a little speculation but that's ok. Are you making notes Bob the builder ?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:10 am
Bob the Builder wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:41 am
Bobby-WRL wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:16 am Matt P inherited this team & he is 18 months in.

1 - We have arguably the two best full backs in the league (granted we need to pick one and stick with it)
6- They are clearly working on this
7- Settled Scrum Half for the foreseeable & future captain IMO
9- Sorted as we know
13 - Smithies

It is only a 6 where we can say we have an unsettled spine.

I think we can win it this year but I’m certain next year after the signings are announced we will all feel in a much better place. We are going in the right direction.
I agree that 2 into 1 (did you see what I did there with fullback) is an issue and Peet needs to make his mind up. What exactly are they doing about 6 (imo the most important position) because all I can see is a complete and utter dog's dinner of it from Chairman to coach. 9 still worries me. Golden boy stays playing and O'Neil leaves could be a horrible scenario. For me Smithies will never be a quality loose forward. Needs bulking up and primed for Prop forward. He certainly has the attitude for it. Also, since when did a great player become (without time in office) a great coach. What experience at top level does Lockers and Tommy have? Isn't Lockers our defence coach? Well that's not working out too well this season is it? Finally, if Powell (please) retires, where do you think he will end up? Yep, on the coaching staff. God help us then.

Just to add to this thread and it’s been mentioned before.
Wigan were advanced with Brody Croft and then Williams decided to come back so the plan changed , GW didn’t give them any inkling he wasn’t coming until later in the day so we ended up with Cust at the last minute.
Cust showed promising signs last year and is under contract for this year . So in regards to what Ive just written I don’t understand how they are failing massively. The posts on here are hysterical.
If that’s true Rads wants sacking for that alone.
I rate Croft higher than Williams, I think Croft is better at having an influence on the game and I bet he would of been cheaper as well
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:01 pm
Bob the Builder wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:41 am

I agree that 2 into 1 (did you see what I did there with fullback) is an issue and Peet needs to make his mind up. What exactly are they doing about 6 (imo the most important position) because all I can see is a complete and utter dog's dinner of it from Chairman to coach. 9 still worries me. Golden boy stays playing and O'Neil leaves could be a horrible scenario. For me Smithies will never be a quality loose forward. Needs bulking up and primed for Prop forward. He certainly has the attitude for it. Also, since when did a great player become (without time in office) a great coach. What experience at top level does Lockers and Tommy have? Isn't Lockers our defence coach? Well that's not working out too well this season is it? Finally, if Powell (please) retires, where do you think he will end up? Yep, on the coaching staff. God help us then.

Wigan were advanced with Brody Croft and then Williams decided to come back so the plan changed , GW didn’t give them any inkling he wasn’t coming until later in the day so we ended up with Cust at the last minute.
Cust showed promising signs last year and is under contract for this year . So in regards to what Ive just written I don’t understand how they are failing massively. The posts on here are hysterical.
I rate Croft higher than Williams, I think Croft is better at having an influence on the game and I bet he would of been cheaper as well
JFTB
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:04 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:01 pm

JFTB
👋👋👋👋
Been missing for a while!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:12 am
The loss at Wakefield shouldn't really have shocked many, .....
Of course it should. The way some go on you'd think SL was a mega competitive league where Wakefield have been going toe-to-toe all season and have been unlucky to lose 13 out of the 15 games they had played up to that Wigan fixture and it was just bad luck their points difference was -304. :roll:

The idea a side has a voodoo on us or Wakefield should be a difficult place to go when they are showing that form is ridiculous.