Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Liam Byrne receives suspension ahead of Challenge Cup semi-final showdown

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Suzieb wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 am 6 game ban so early in the season is very poor send him out on loan when his ban expires and see if he discovers himself
Couldn't disagree more!
Liam has got it wrong but he needs support on the area which needs improvement.
Folk seem to have forgotten that for a part of last season he played injured when we were decimated by players out of action. He supported the club then, they and us should support him now!
We have a group of young yet experienced forwards and Liam Byrne is certainly one of them. We are in a fortunate position and shouldn't be thinking of sending a player with so much experience anywhere.
Liam is a great asset to Wigan RL. He will come through this I've no doubt.
Look forward to seeing him out there in three weeks or so time!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:07 am
Suzieb wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 am 6 game ban so early in the season is very poor send him out on loan when his ban expires and see if he discovers himself
Couldn't disagree more!
Liam has got it wrong but he needs support on the area which needs improvement.
Folk seem to have forgotten that for a part of last season he played injured when we were decimated by players out of action. He supported the club then, they and us should support him now!
We have a group of young yet experienced forwards and Liam Byrne is certainly one of them. We are in a fortunate position and shouldn't be thinking of sending a player with so much experience anywhere.
Liam is a great asset to Wigan RL. He will come through this I've no doubt.
Look forward to seeing him out there in three weeks or so time!
Well said Ted 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think Byrne is a decent rotation player i cant see him being a top player but not everyone can be. He seems to get through a lot of work when he is on the field.

The problem as i see it for Byrne is wigan have a very very good squad at the moment. This is probably the best squad they have had since the maguire days - and that means the standard has gone up. Nsemba is killing it, Hill has looked excellent and then we have the likes of thompson, dupree, ellis (who has improved) Mago who has improved. Walters will be coming into the mix Cooper when fit.

I see Byrne as a Dudson/Hughes type player who came into a poorer side but as the quality has gone up he's probably the one whos going to struggle most to get on the pitch with a full team especially if he cant be trusted

He's is a superleague player all day long, but Wigans standard has gone up and he will need his best form to keep his shirt on a peg
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm Good to see a two match ban for a Wigan player has created delight amongst some Wigan fans.
I'll not give any the label of supporters as I view the perpetrator's as I view the team from over the hill.
Let's hope your trench days are over, there'd be unsafe backs to stab!!
Lower than contempt.
I agree
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Soul Kitchen wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:59 pm Good to see a two match ban for a Wigan player has created delight amongst some Wigan fans.
I'll not give any the label of supporters as I view the perpertrators as I view the team from over the hill.
Lower than contempt.
With respect to the "team from over the hill", perhaps if Byrne hadn't managed to get himself sent off in the Good Friday game, then we might have won the game, they only broke us down because we were a man short.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 am Well, I'm not cheering about a two-match ban but I still think that if it had happened say, 15 minutes later, it might have been a red. It really didn't look good at all.
However, the disciplinary doesn't look great when Makinson (who I rather like as a player) but has form in this area, gets a one-match ban and a 'dangerous throw' which landed a player on his head, also gets a single-match ban.
Bit of consistency needed there and that might avoid the inevitable (and possibly justified) accusations of bias.
Byrne's was upped because of his record.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
BriH

Post by BriH »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:30 pm I think Byrne is a decent rotation player i cant see him being a top player but not everyone can be. He seems to get through a lot of work when he is on the field.

The problem as i see it for Byrne is wigan have a very very good squad at the moment. This is probably the best squad they have had since the maguire days - and that means the standard has gone up. Nsemba is killing it, Hill has looked excellent and then we have the likes of thompson, dupree, ellis (who has improved) Mago who has improved. Walters will be coming into the mix Cooper when fit.

I see Byrne as a Dudson/Hughes type player who came into a poorer side but as the quality has gone up he's probably the one whos going to struggle most to get on the pitch with a full team especially if he cant be trusted

He's is a superleague player all day long, but Wigans standard has gone up and he will need his best form to keep his shirt on a peg
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Mike wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:24 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:44 am Well, I'm not cheering about a two-match ban but I still think that if it had happened say, 15 minutes later, it might have been a red. It really didn't look good at all.
However, the disciplinary doesn't look great when Makinson (who I rather like as a player) but has form in this area, gets a one-match ban and a 'dangerous throw' which landed a player on his head, also gets a single-match ban.
Bit of consistency needed there and that might avoid the inevitable (and possibly justified) accusations of bias.
Byrne's was upped because of his record.
Which didn't seem to happen with Makinson. Prepared to see Horne's record help him but Makinson...........?
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Ipinwigan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:51 pm
I'll not give any the label of supporters as I view the perpertrators as I view the team from over the hill.
Lower than contempt.
With respect to the "team from over the hill", perhaps if Byrne hadn't managed to get himself sent off in the Good Friday game, then we might have won the game, they only broke us down because we were a man short.
That may be so but true supporters don't nail their own players' to a cross.
I wonder if Harry Smith might get an encore soon if "crucifixtions" become a bit thin on the ground?
boggart

Post by boggart »

Is Liam about to fill the vacant Sam Powell 'whipping boy' slot amongst the tolerant, big-hearted, totally un-biased Wigan so-called 'faithful'?
I noticed Powell hasn't been immune from the occasional dig even though he's no longer with us, for goodness sake.
I remember last season when Liam performed above and beyond when he was basically flogged by filling in for others when he was injured and not really match fit. He never shirked it but was vilified nonetheless.
I know correspondents will claim that they are entitled to their opinions, but I am equally entitled to tell them what to do with them.