Hudds Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jinkin jimmy

Re: Hudds Game

Post by jinkin jimmy »

cpwigan posted:
Thorman out is great news. I hope he gets fit for the cup final though :D
Looks like Orr will face KB at stand off....... :exc:
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

And the point been made is?
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

It was an observation Hayley. I am really looking forward to their battle. Orr should slaughter Brown, given the way our pack is playing. I suppose I should have been saying the same if he was up against Thorman too...... :doz:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If KB plays stand off he will only go one way. He can pass right to left but not left to right.
hayley 04

Post by hayley 04 »

There's no should about it jinkin jimmy. My God give the man some credit.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

cpwigan posted:
If KB plays stand off he will only go one way. He can pass right to left but not left to right.
It's funny you say that, because Danny Orr lives around the corner from us and we see him on a regular basis and chat to him! In his first season at Wigan when he was under a lot of fire, he explained that he was having difficulty adjusting at Wigan because at Castleford he had played down the right, but at Wigan he was told to play left side and it was proving a challenge for him becuase he had based his whole game around playing a certain pattern down one side! (forgive me if i am wrong but it could have been vise versa)
Another similar story i was told but from a second-hand source is that when Paul Johnson suffered his bad break a couple of season ago, he never regained full movement of his arm, and struggled to take a long ball at centre! He was then converted to second row and played on the other side so his arm was doing less! Not sure the truth in this second one though!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sounds perfectly true to me Martin. It is actually hard to pass both ways with the same strength and accuracy. Particularly so by some young players brought up on the spin pass being the be all and end all. Nothing wrong with a standard pass weighted properly unless your throwing the ball a great distance.

It can be very hard to fit into a new team etc and find a role that balances the team. Hock returning made a huge difference as it gave us a predominantly left sided back rower and Fletcher, a predominantly right sided back rower. I think when Orr arrived the team was very much left sided with Faz and Haughton/Hock playing down that side.
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

cpwigan posted:
Sounds perfectly true to me Martin. It is actually hard to pass both ways with the same strength and accuracy. Particularly so by some young players brought up on the spin pass being the be all and end all. Nothing wrong with a standard pass weighted properly unless your throwing the ball a great distance.

It can be very hard to fit into a new team etc and find a role that balances the team. Hock returning made a huge difference as it gave us a predominantly left sided back rower and Fletcher, a predominantly right sided back rower. I think when Orr arrived the team was very much left sided with Faz and Haughton/Hock playing down that side.
You would not believe the number of professional players who strugle to pass a ball both right and left. I remember Andy Gregory who used to turn his back to play so that he could deliver a good long ball out wide from his better side! Fantastic!
I was always told from a young age that a good pass comes from the wrists! I can remember my uncle telling me stories when he played for Orrell about how they would tie his arms together tightly, so that he had to use his wrists!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

and darren whitfiels now a coach of st judes and ex widnes prop ,is beleived to be able to pass the ball fromm one wing to the other :lol: so he tells me :doz:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME