swap barrett and richards for dobson ....

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dawber

Re: swap barrett and richards ...

Post by Dawber »

shawcross da warrior posted:
i think wigan should try to sign dobbo from canberra on a long term deal even if we had to sacrifice richards and the new boy barrett. i think it would work out better in the long run because him and danny orr had a great parternership towards the end of the season and i think it could only improve.. wt do you think ???
Oh dear me, get rid of Barrett? are you having a laugh? if you think we should get rid of him before he has even put on a Wigan shirt check out the Aussie play offs this weekend, Barrett is playing for St George have a look at him then come back on here and see if you can ask the same question again.
I think you will find that you won't even consider getting shut of Barrett.
Matthew

Re: swap barrett and richa...

Post by Matthew »

Look at it this way - who would you prefer to see play for stains? I'm guessing that no-one here would want to see Barrett playing at Knowesley Rd.

Dobson has been good for us, as a scrum half he did exactly what he was supposed to - something that Moran never managed to do.

When he has developed a bit more in the NRL then I would only be too happy to see him come back to Wigan. However if we have real aspirations we need real class in pivotal positions - and Barret gives us that.

That said I would prefer to see us keep Dobson (which is not possible under the quota anyway) than get Leuileui (sic) from London - as he has never really impressed me and looks like another Moran in the making.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
old hooker

Re: swap barrett and richards ...

Post by old hooker »

I think ill have a pint of whatever you had,must be strong stuff.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I'd play Orr at 7...he murdered Leulalia (however you spell it) looked a far better player than him.
stacey c

Post by stacey c »

Wot have you been drinking? Dobson - yeah he was good for us but Barrett is world class! :conf:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One thing about Dobson. I know we had never heard of him but he's always been a noted player as he has progressed through the ranks Down Under. He represented the Aus Schoolboys in the same team as Karmichael Hunt, Benji Marshal etc etc.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Dobson for me I'm afraid, he'd be perfect for Wigan. The major problem with SL is that we ship over too many Aussies at the end of their careers, there has been much talk of Barrett not putting his heart into it for St. George and whether or not that is true it has been questioned on many other occassions whether older players come for a final big payday.

If we are to sign foreign players we need to sign young, 20-24 year olds not 29-31 year olds with just a year or two left in them. Dobson has played superb for Wigan, one of the major reasons we've done so well towards the end of the season. How do we know Barrett will be as good? He may be a let down, equally, he may be brilliant and get as many man of the match awards as Dobson did!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:
If we are to sign foreign players we need to sign young, 20-24 year olds not 29-31 year olds with just a year or two left in them
In an ideal world we dont want to be signing either, we should have had british stars stepping in.But as has been discussed on here many times we aint got the room within the slary cap to do so
There aren't that many good British half-backs around; it's one position we don't seem to be very good at producing.
When the likes of Harris, Deacon & Briers are being put forward as GB candidates, you know you're in trouble.
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i watch the nrl every week so a no what am talkin about am not backward it wuz just a suggestion....id deffinatly consider bringi im back to the club though in the future.... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

and i agree about the british halfbacks, for mi theres only realli deacon and harris maybe burrow but a aint sure he wigan standard
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

TWO EYED WARRIOR posted:

Agreed,quality half backs are a bit thin on the ground, but wigan did have a good prospect in Luke Robinson, but had to let him go for, what seems to be the standard excuse of "salary cap" unless you didnt rate him when he was at wigan?.
His leaving wasn't anything to do with his playing ability.