New TV deal

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: New TV deal

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:13 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:46 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:39 pm Live broadcast of every SL game! Why buy a ticket?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... nt-4264950
Works OK in Aus? Also does this say that they are all on SKY and free for subscribers? If not, its likely they'll be pay per view and the clubs might be able to stream them live for a fee?

Interesting development though. Something that everyone has been asking for is a level playing field on VR calls and we'd get that. They'd have to fund more refs I imagine. I wonder if all the games would be on SKY, or if the RL has to pick up the bill for streaming the.
It does work fine in Australia but you need to remember that clubs have other forms of income and do not rely solely on TV deals. British RL is a totally different beast in many ways.

I suppose the devil is in the detail but, given that the RL are already saying that they are hoping to balance the books through streaming, it doesn’t give you any confidence that they will be able to cover any shortfall in season tickets, or match day ticket sales, if attendances drop as a consequence of more live games.
How much do ticket sales and sponsorship contribute in the European game compared to TV revenue? I don't know the answer.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:31 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:13 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:46 pm

Works OK in Aus? Also does this say that they are all on SKY and free for subscribers? If not, its likely they'll be pay per view and the clubs might be able to stream them live for a fee?

Interesting development though. Something that everyone has been asking for is a level playing field on VR calls and we'd get that. They'd have to fund more refs I imagine. I wonder if all the games would be on SKY, or if the RL has to pick up the bill for streaming the.
It does work fine in Australia but you need to remember that clubs have other forms of income and do not rely solely on TV deals. British RL is a totally different beast in many ways.

I suppose the devil is in the detail but, given that the RL are already saying that they are hoping to balance the books through streaming, it doesn’t give you any confidence that they will be able to cover any shortfall in season tickets, or match day ticket sales, if attendances drop as a consequence of more live games.
How much do ticket sales and sponsorship contribute in the European game compared to TV revenue? I don't know the answer.
I don’t know Mike but we need more revenue not less and I can’t see live games helping achieve that, I hope I am wrong.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think they were just trying to get back to the 24Mil we had before. Apparently negotiations started at half that! For the deal to get to this position doesn't it need votes from clubs, so at least some must be in favour of this being the least worst option?

I wonder how this will all work in practice. I just can't see Sky funding live broadcasts of every game. Perhaps there is the potential for them to broadcast any game , and provide a VR facility for it, but if they don't want to the clubs can stream live? Is it really every game live on sky? Who's going to set kick off times?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:05 pm I think they were just trying to get back to the 24Mil we had before. Apparently negotiations started at half that! For the deal to get to this position doesn't it need votes from clubs, so at least some must be in favour of this being the least worst option?

I wonder how this will all work in practice. I just can't see Sky funding live broadcasts of every game. Perhaps there is the potential for them to broadcast any game , and provide a VR facility for it, but if they don't want to the clubs can stream live? Is it really every game live on sky? Who's going to set kick off times?
I’ll wager the our league app at a tenner a game will ride into view next season this is going to be a pain in the arse spreading games here there and everywhere for us the more games played say Saturday or Sunday would for us,be very problematic as the wife works weekends because well frankly she earns more so for us that’ll be a consideration if not for next season then certainly the one after.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Looks like the "every game broadcast live" thing isn't real to me. It's looking more like every game has cameras to enable a VR and you can use the footage to broadcast if you want. Sounds much more likely to me. Sky wouldn't be able to fit all the games in there schedule!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:30 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:05 pm I think they were just trying to get back to the 24Mil we had before. Apparently negotiations started at half that! For the deal to get to this position doesn't it need votes from clubs, so at least some must be in favour of this being the least worst option?

I’ll wager the our league app at a tenner a game will ride into view next season this is going to be a pain in the arse spreading games here there and everywhere for us the more games played say Saturday or Sunday would for us,be very problematic as the wife works weekends because well frankly she earns more so for us that’ll be a consideration if not for next season then certainly the one after.

I agree Fozzie. I know some longstanding season ticket holders who will not renew if matches are played at varying times and dates. They will simply watch it on the box. I stopped watching football due to the same reason.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:12 pm Looks like the "every game broadcast live" thing isn't real to me. It's looking more like every game has cameras to enable a VR and you can use the footage to broadcast if you want. Sounds much more likely to me. Sky wouldn't be able to fit all the games in there schedule!
i think they were doing that so came up with the show every game as it will be fully filmed, if you have a VR at every game it has to be fully filmed, may aswell just throw some commentators n as its all thats missing, its what happened in the NRL
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I reckon Mike is probably right on this.